South Dakota mule deer

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am a SD resident and have hunt East river whitetail. This year I’m going to give west river archery mule deer a try. I’m not looking for anyone’s spot, just general helpful info for a first time mule deer hunter in sd. Since the changes in the NR hunting regulations I’m hoping there will be less pressure with only residents and also opener being on a Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
You’ve got a month until season opens, make a day trip out west to scout. You will put yourself in a much better position when hunting season opens by seeing the land you plan on going to first

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the tips, I’ve got good glass and I’m hoping to make it out that way before the season if we ever get our cover crop all planted. It’s been a heck of a farming year so far. I have been looking at satellite images to find water near some good spots, the satellite images look all dry, I’m assuming they may be a couple years old when it was dry out there. Has it been fairly wet this year out west?

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also curious on the stalking situation, seems like a lot of people talk about stalking socks, are they necessary? I’m assuming snakes are a large consideration in sept, not sure I want to be walking around in socks!

Trial153

WKR
I’m also curious on the stalking situation, seems like a lot of people talk about stalking socks, are they necessary? I’m assuming snakes are a large consideration in sept, not sure I want to be walking around in socks!
You will be picking stickers /thorns and everything thing else out of socks in pretty much all west river county.....i use vibram five finger instead. However a light pair of sneakers for Finnishing a stalk will work well too.

KurtR

WKR
Been out here for 18 years now I would worry more about cactus than snakes. They are around but not in crazy density. Lots of deer this year was a good winter and spring. As long as we don’t get a late season die off should be a good season. Wife has the any deer tag with the rifle so been out looking a fair amount

Fatcamp

WKR
Where I hunt the snakes are thick. Scary little beasts. Damn deer bed right with them.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Been out here for 18 years now I would worry more about cactus than snakes. They are around but not in crazy density. Lots of deer this year was a good winter and spring. As long as we don’t get a late season die off should be a good season. Wife has the any deer tag with the rifle so been out looking a fair amount

That’s good to hear, I figured if the winter was anything like it was over East here it was good to them. Been online scouting and have a few spots to check at least.

NLHoks

FNG
Where I hunt the snakes are thick. Scary little beasts. Damn deer bed right with them.

@Fatcamp let me know where you're hunting so I can avoid it! ;)

I'm in a similar situation as SDHunter44, live in the East but have gone out West the last couple of years looking for Muleys. The problem is I seem to have a hard time finding them, always find a lot more whitetails. Am I looking in the wrong spots or are there just generally more WTs around?

Fatcamp

WKR
@Fatcamp let me know where you're hunting so I can avoid it! ;)

I'm in a similar situation as SDHunter44, live in the East but have gone out West the last couple of years looking for Muleys. The problem is I seem to have a hard time finding them, always find a lot more whitetails. Am I looking in the wrong spots or are there just generally more WTs around?

Dang. The one time I had a WT tag I never even saw one. Coulda killed a MD with a stick, but no WT.

My wife gave up this week and shot an antelope with a rifle. I continue to archery hunt deer. Changing bows right now. In fact, about to take them to the pro shop to be swapped out.

NLHoks

FNG
@Fatcamp dang that's a bummer, we need to swap tactics apparently. I've got an any deer tag in a unit along the river, you ever hunted near the river for muleys? I've been out there scouting a few times but haven't turned up a single MD, I know there are some in the area per the harvest data on the gfp sight just can't seem to locate them.

@SDHunter44 sorry to hijack your thread, how did your hunt go? Have any luck?

Fatcamp

WKR
@Fatcamp dang that's a bummer, we need to swap tactics apparently. I've got an any deer tag in a unit along the river, you ever hunted near the river for muleys? I've been out there scouting a few times but haven't turned up a single MD, I know there are some in the area per the harvest data on the gfp sight just can't seem to locate them.

@SDHunter44 sorry to hijack your thread, how did your hunt go? Have any luck?

I won't talk about specific units online. You can PM me and we can chat, though. Do you have a boat?

NLHoks

FNG
Of course, I wasn't looking for specific spots or anything like that, more so just curious on types of terrain, tactics, etc. But I'll send you a PM for a more detail.

I have a kayak that I use around here for sloughs and smaller rivers/streams but I've been a little apprehensive to take it out on the river.

Fatcamp

WKR
Of course, I wasn't looking for specific spots or anything like that, more so just curious on types of terrain, tactics, etc. But I'll send you a PM for a more detail.

I have a kayak that I use around here for sloughs and smaller rivers/streams but I've been a little apprehensive to take it out on the river.

Ya, kayak on the river could be a problem. That place is no joke.

Currently archery hunting SD. It's has been a tough learning curve but we are making some progress. Tomorrow will be our 4th full day. When I spoke to the game warden he said there were quite a few 140"-150" deer in the area - we have not found anything close to that but we have a few days left. As it turns out - spot and stalk archery hunting is hard 🤣

Fatcamp

WKR
Currently archery hunting SD. It's has been a tough learning curve but we are making some progress. Tomorrow will be our 4th full day. When I spoke to the game warden he said there were quite a few 140"-150" deer in the area - we have not found anything close to that but we have a few days left. As it turns out - spot and stalk archery hunting is hard 🤣

LOL. Yes it is.

Are you guys sure to be out at first light? It should be pitch black when you walk to your glassing spot.

Yes, we've been hunting hard. At the glassing point before first light several days. We are struggling to find the bucks. It seems they are bedding before first light. On top of that we are new to this type of hunting...