South Dakota mule deer

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tag out on an archery mule deer yet? Let’s see some pics! I’m headed west this weekend, I’m sure with everyone else in the state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
As I thought everyone will be out there this weekend! My first time heading that way for mule deer, I tried to pick a spot that not everyone will go to but I’m sure we are all looking for the same stuff so we’ll see! Good luck to you all.

krohboy

WKR
I shot my doe on opening night but haven't had any close encounters with any bucks Id be happy with yet.

Fatcamp

WKR
As I thought everyone will be out there this weekend! My first time heading that way for mule deer, I tried to pick a spot that not everyone will go to but I’m sure we are all looking for the same stuff so we’ll see! Good luck to you all.

There are deer all over. No reason to go the places the internet likes.

Been drier this year than last but we have still found plenty of deer.

SDGFP has asked hunters to report dead deer. Sounds like blue tongue may be increasing again and they want to know. If you see anything suspicious let them know, please.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
There are deer all over. No reason to go the places the internet likes.

Been drier this year than last but we have still found plenty of deer.

SDGFP has asked hunters to report dead deer. Sounds like blue tongue may be increasing again and they want to know. If you see anything suspicious let them know, please.

Sounds good, I’ll be sure to let them know if I see anything, are mule deer like whitetail in the fact that they will eat in ag fields or are they more browsers for woody plants

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds good, I’ll be sure to let them know if I see anything, are mule deer like whitetail in the fact that they will eat in ag fields or are they more browsers for woody plants

I see them do both for sure, but they get along just fine without ag.

Newberg had a show a couple years ago in Nevada that they had them kind of patterned on crops. Overall turned into a shitshow, but the idea seemed solid.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I see them do both for sure, but they get along just fine without ag.

Newberg had a show a couple years ago in Nevada that they had them kind of patterned on crops. Overall turned into a shitshow, but the idea seemed solid.

If winter was like it was over East here winter kill shouldn’t have been a problem in any areas I’m assuming? I’m kinda thinking Pennington county but we’ll see where the pickup takes me when I put my foot on the gas!

Fatcamp

WKR
I don't think we had winter kill. I can't speak to Pennington county specifically, but there have to be some deer there, dang things are all over. Just have to find them.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest mulies I have seen are in ag land . They live in both.

Good to hear, I figured they would. It took me a whole scouting maps to find ag fields somewhere near mule deer looking country but I have a couple to check

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be heading out in October too. Archery tag this year. Had a rifle tag last year. It's been a good 4 years since we've tried archery deer.

Tried archery antelope last year over Labor day and I'm glad we didn't have deer tags. The morning fog and mosquitos made for some rough stalking conditions.

I'm very interested to see if the pressure has increased as much as I hear.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like they raised the highs for the weekend too, was suppose to be cooler, going to be a hot one now!

Fatcamp

WKR
Found deer while the truck cooled. Need to get camp set and glass at sunset. Found a really nice buck in a stalkable position. Trying to be patient this year.