South Dakota mule deer

Fatcamp

WKR
Satan's anvil. Waiting for sundown and hopefully a wind change. We have two groups identified and if the wind cooperates we will split up and go for it.

b09e55990282650c75c9b9c41ffa2ca2.jpg

Couldn’t pass him up at 10yds. Had a lot of encounters with a lot of great deer but the stalk on this guy was awesome. 2nd mulie with a bow and only my 4th archery deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Nothing for me. On our way home now.

Had a couple good stalks and saw some nice deer, but no dice. All the deer in our area had rubbed their velvet.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
No luck for me either, only saw 2 bucks but we did a fair amount of driving to check a few different locations. Bummer we had to come home Monday when the mercury dropped, deer started moving like crazy on my trail cams back home east river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I also headed out Friday. I found a ton of bucks on public, I saw a lot of hunters but there were no hunters hunting where I was. I parked my truck and walked a long ways to try to deceive anyone who might try to figure out where I was. The day before I shot this buck I stalked to right above a bigger hard antlered buck. I was literally right above him but there was no shot angle. I threw a rock and he blew out with no shot. The afternoon I shot this buck he was with a group of 7 others traveling from public to a private alfalfa field. There were 2 bucks in the group bigger than him but I wasn't going to press my luck. He was at 52 yards and calm standing broadside. I can't wait to do it again next year!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 151

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes. Gonna be quick. I don't get off until Saturday at 0700 and have to be back Monday at 0700. We know where deer are and it only takes one good opportunity.

Weather looks good. You heading out?

Who hunted this past weekend?

I also headed out Friday. I found a ton of bucks on public, I saw a lot of hunters but there were no hunters hunting where I was. I parked my truck and walked a long ways to try to deceive anyone who might try to figure out where I was. The day before I shot this buck I stalked to right above a bigger hard antlered buck. I was literally right above him but there was no shot angle. I threw a rock and he blew out with no shot. The afternoon I shot this buck he was with a group of 7 others traveling from public to a private alfalfa field. There were 2 bucks in the group bigger than him but I wasn't going to press my luck. He was at 52 yards and calm standing broadside. I can't wait to do it again next year!
This is a great buck! Three weeks and I'll be after one!

wjj605

FNG
I am going out during the later part of the week and hunting through Monday. To say I am excited is an understatement but trying to keep my expectations low.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, pretty excited myself. Hopefully my mistakes last time will be a solid reminder not to be a dumbass when stalking. :)

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm horrible at stalking critters. I've always had better luck trying to anticipate where they are moving then get in front of them for an ambush. Good luck to you!