South Dakota mule deer

Fatcamp

WKR
Thanks! 66 yards is as close as I got today. Nice 4X4.

Way beyond my capabilities. Saw a stud today at 80. Very nice deer.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm horrible at stalking critters. I've always had better luck trying to anticipate where they are moving then get in front of them for an ambush. Good luck to you!

I am figuring out this is more of what I need to be doing. Once I see them bail and try to head them off. Once they bed they just disappear, like ghosts. Had three really nice bucks I could have done that with today, but I waited for them to bed, and they wandered off into rough country.

57 yards from does today was as close as I got. Found a forkhorn with another group of does in a very stalkable spot. Very quick trip. I'm beat.

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, anyone hunting? Just a few days before all the public land is covered in antelope hunters and nonresidents archery tag holders.

Well, anyone hunting? Just a few days before all the public land is covered in antelope hunters and nonresidents archery tag holders.
I'll be one of the nonresidents out there - leaving Saturday morning for a 7 day hunt. Hoping for the best but expecting to see other hunters. Hopefully we can find some deer. I was reading a thread about Wyoming earlier - sounded like there was an unusually high number of hunters - hopefully that is not the case where I am going...

Fatcamp

WKR
I'll be one of the nonresidents out there - leaving Saturday morning for a 7 day hunt. Hoping for the best but expecting to see other hunters. Hopefully we can find some deer. I was reading a thread about Wyoming earlier - sounded like there was an unusually high number of hunters - hopefully that is not the case where I am going...

Welcome to South Dakota! That was sarcasm on my part. I think a couple areas got blown up online and saw a big increase in people. There is a lot of land to hunt. SDGFP has a great online map system, but I use OnX.

Use a little common sense and you will have miles to yourself.

Tonight I was about 30 yards from the bucks I was stalking when a different buck stood up at 10 yards looking right at me. Should have tried shooting him, but I laid down and they all walked off. LOL. 2.5 hours of tension. Sooooo, close.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Have fun guys! Fatcamp, thank you for your thread. I agree completely that there are plenty of places to hunt and use some common sense.

I am super excited but trying to keep my expectations low - going into the area for the first time and don't know what to expect...

Have you hunted mule deer before?
I have hunted mule deer one other time in Montana with rifle. I got a buck but it was pretty small - around 110." I am hoping for something bigger from SD but I know it will be difficult with archery gear!