South Dakota Mule Deer

Good morning all,

First time poster here so thanks in advance for any insights that are provided.

My group of four guys (all young/active) are heading out to SoDak this fall (thinking early November) from MN to do some DIY mule deer archery hunting (not opposed to harvesting a nice mature whitetail either). Currently we have our eyes on some public pieces in the middle of the state that border the Missouri River, the one guy in our group has had some success in this area the last few years. Just looking for outlook, history, or numbers for this area. Also, not opposed to moving our target area to NNW/NW SoDak or even maybe the Buffalo Grasslands in the SW. Kind of open to whatever.

Another question is which public lands allow for camping on site?

Really hoping (if time and schedule allows) to get out in August to do some scouting to really hone in our target areas.

Thanks again!

WCB

WKR
camping = BLM, Natl Forest, Natl Grasslands. Check into each one for specific regulations and call the regional offices.

Anywhere west of the river has Mule Deer. Do a bit of searching online and you will find what areas are talked about the most. That way you will know where everyone goes so you know places to avoid, which is pretty much the two backup plans you mentioned.

kpk

WKR
Many of the small towns have camping options also. I've stayed in a small town several times that has a public park which has showers and clean bathrooms.

I hunted west river last year for archery mule deer. We walked in thinking we wanted to tag something over 100". In 6 days we saw two bucks that were over 100". It was a very tough hunt. My advice is that if your buddy has been successful in an area - stick to that area. We covered lots of ground and it was tough. Tons of pressure where we were and very few nice bucks...

KurtR

WKR
the numbers are down alot from the last few years. Disease and increased pressure has a had an impact. I have enough points to draw my wr tag in the county i want but dont think i will as i have seen nothing and the guys that ranch are saying its not looking good. but any way good luck . Might want to check out when rifle season starts to.

Lytro

WKR
Waiting until November is going to make for some tough hunting on WR public lands after all the early archery, rifle pronghorn, and bird hunters have been out. If you shift your focus to the NW, make sure you fully read the regulations because a lot of the national forest land in that area requires a special draw permit. Additionally, "a nice mature whitetail" is a bit different in WR SD than it is in MN.

OP
ManUpNorth
Waiting until November is going to make for some tough hunting on WR public lands after all the early archery, rifle pronghorn, and bird hunters have been out. If you shift your focus to the NW, make sure you fully read the regulations because a lot of the national forest land in that area requires a special draw permit. Additionally, "a nice mature whitetail" is a bit different in WR SD than it is in MN.
Thanks for the advice!

You will see more good whitetail in that area. Better mules in the NW, but as said above - I think it is 35 - watch out for the special unit. We hunted there for years and not going this year. Pressure has really increased.

OP
ManUpNorth
You will see more good whitetail in that area. Better mules in the NW, but as said above - I think it is 35 - watch out for the special unit. We hunted there for years and not going this year. Pressure has really increased.
Applied to hunt 35, but we'll see if we get drawn. Are you not going because of the pressure?

Somewhat due to the increased pressure and just the timing with non residents not having access until October- best luck was always earlier on the mulies or later in November which is a tough time for me.

CB4

WKR
FYI - I just called SD Game Fish & Parks. Licenses wont be mailed out until July. They updated customer service of that but are not sending out emails to everyone that was awarded a tag.

PLP

FNG
FYI - I just called SD Game Fish & Parks. Licenses wont be mailed out until July. They updated customer service of that but are not sending out emails to everyone that was awarded a tag.
Any idea when cards should get hit?thanks..

Cschlimm

FNG
Good morning all,

First time poster here so thanks in advance for any insights that are provided.

My group of four guys (all young/active) are heading out to SoDak this fall (thinking early November) from MN to do some DIY mule deer archery hunting (not opposed to harvesting a nice mature whitetail either). Currently we have our eyes on some public pieces in the middle of the state that border the Missouri River, the one guy in our group has had some success in this area the last few years. Just looking for outlook, history, or numbers for this area. Also, not opposed to moving our target area to NNW/NW SoDak or even maybe the Buffalo Grasslands in the SW. Kind of open to whatever.

Another question is which public lands allow for camping on site?

Really hoping (if time and schedule allows) to get out in August to do some scouting to really hone in our target areas.

Thanks again!
From WI and hunted SD archery handful of times and been successful more than not. Been in alot of these areas your talking about and you can find chunks that aren't to pressured dont over look the small pieces. We have gone the 1st week of Nov twice now in hopes of rutting activity. During that time frame we have seen little rut activity some small bumping of does and I understand the mule deer rut may not be as intense as whitetails. Keep an eye on rilfe seasons but Id push later into Nov if it works with your schedules.