South Dakota or Nebraska archery antelope

I have been hunting whitetails in WI for 15 years but am brand new to spot and stalk western hunting. I am hoping to plan a antelope/mule deer hunt for this fall with maybe one or 2 other guys. I have been research for the past year on my different options and it looks like for bow hunting South Dakota or Nebraska would probably be my best options. Was looking in the NW corner of Nebraska or near the Belle Fourche area of SD.
If my research is correct, it looks like SD changed the mule deer season start date to Oct 1st for non resident, public land hunters. That would eliminate my option of a mule deer and antelope tag as I would like to go in September before the rifle hunters start pounding away.
Looking for any advice that I can get! Should we focus on just antelope? Would the odds of harvesting an animal increase if we also hunt somewhere where we can have a mule deer tag? Wanting to camp on BLM or state land and don’t mind getting off the beaten path to work for animals.
Again, thanks for any and all advice! It’s very much appreciated!

wjj605

FNG
South Dakota is undergoing a lot of turnover and changes for non residents right now. Last I heard they might make non res draw for archery tags, so opportunity may become limited here in the near future. A lot if whining about non res killing everything.... either way, can't go wrong hunting SD

baz77

WKR
I’d focus on one animal for your first western hunt ..antelope is a great species to cut your teeth on. It’s been over 10 years since I last hunted antelope in SD. I prefer hunting them in Wyoming these days. Good luck in your hunt.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted pronghorn for the first time last year, Nebraska. OTC archery tags for non resident, hunted private land and paid for services...blinds over waterholes as was a bit early for spot and stalk and decoys. Public land in Nebraska gets pounded from what I understand, and best bet is to go early in the season before goats get pressured onto private land.

The 5 days we were there, 4 of us killed bucks out of 10 guys, but shot opportunity was about 80%. I killed my buck mid morning on day 3. He is weak on his hooks and prongs, but I was happy to fill my first western tag, especially to get it done with stick and string.
FB_IMG_1567433532551.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
South Dakota is undergoing a lot of turnover and changes for non residents right now. Last I heard they might make non res draw for archery tags, so opportunity may become limited here in the near future. A lot if whining about non res killing everything.... either way, can't go wrong hunting SD

Ya, never known what the commission will do next, resident or non.

OP should look at a map and a calendar.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted pronghorn for the first time last year, Nebraska. OTC archery tags for non resident, hunted private land and paid for services...blinds over waterholes as was a bit early for spot and stalk and decoys. Public land in Nebraska gets pounded from what I understand, and best bet is to go early in the season before goats get pressured onto private land.

The 5 days we were there, 4 of us killed bucks out of 10 guys, but shot opportunity was about 80%. I killed my buck mid morning on day 3. He is weak on his hooks and prongs, but I was happy to fill my first western tag, especially to get it done with stick and string.
View attachment 152018

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I was out hunting them first week of September on the grasslands and there was a ton of company during labor day weekend. We drove past quite a few other hunters and had a few ruin stalks.