South Dakota pheasant and coyote hunt, where to start?

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to plan a hunt for pheasants with my dad and get a little coyote hunting in as well. I've been on SD's hunt planner and the two areas I am considering are between Pierre and Gettysburg, and Aberdeen west. Based on the hunt planner they both seem to have a decent amount of public and good success numbers on birds. There isn't really any info on coyote populations but I assuming there are some around. I would appreciate any input on my decision or experiences in these areas. PMs are welcome if you think it is too detailed for a public forum. Also any particular dates i should be targeting?

Moserkr

WKR
I think you’re on the right track. Been hunting SD for 25 years and Im actually here right now shooting roosters. At least where Im at bird numbers were down a little bit this year. Drought hurt the grass and cover a bit too.

Best part about hunting yotes would be saving future pheasants. If I may offer a piece of advice that could get you lots of land access…. Talk to farmers about killing yotes for them in exchange for a little bird hunting. Cant tell you how many times Ive heard complaints from farmers/ranchers about coyotes. Met a few who dont care about hunting pheasants and had tons on their property, but loved hunting deer. So killing coyotes was huge to them and killing 50+ on their property a year is average. Just dont try to pheasant hunt private during deer season-ive done it but can lead to issues. Also pheasant shooting starts at 10am so plenty of time for a morning yote hunt.

Some extended family paid to have yotes removed on their farm this year, they are that overpopulated. I usually get a shot at one while pheasant hunting anyway. We usually hunt a mix of public and private. Lost more and more access to private as the older generation hands down the reigns to the next. We still ask permission to hunt sometimes, hunt ditches, and have done core land. Birds can be everywhere and nowhere. But when you get into a bunch of 20-50+ birds busting out of a thicket or small patch of weeds, it can be worth all the trouble.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks that's what I have been told via PM. Sounds like private permission is attainable if you don't interfere with deer. Would love to shoot a few coyotes to help out as well. From what I gather you can't hunt pheasants until 10am and I would need something to do in the morning.