South Dakota

I was under the impression it was unlimited draw/otc for archery antelope. Yesterday I called the office and the guy made it sound like it took an act of congress to draw an archery tag. For some reason I thought it was only like that for rifle. If I showed up in September can I buy an antelope tag or is it legit draw? And can you buy a doe tag as a stand alone cheap option or would you have to buy the full price either sex?

Thanks

+1 on the GFP phone operators' knowledge being hit or miss.

Antelope archery tags are still OTC, but this year they made it buck only. Apparently the NR tag purchase volume was up 350% over the past two years. I think the fee for NR is about $290.

You should be able to buy the tag online now (went on sale ~7/12/22) and have it mailed to you preseason. I think the only place you can buy it in person is the GFP office in Pierre, which is usually out of the way for most people driving in.

jmez

WKR
Mike is correct. You can only buy the tag from the office in Pierre or apply and have it mailed. The tags are unlimited but not true OTC.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Tyson

FNG
Mike is correct. You can only buy the tag from the office in Pierre or apply and have it mailed. The tags are unlimited but not true OTC.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
This is what I did last year and got a tag, just have to apply and you’ll get it mailed to you. It’s a fun hunt but a hard one, good luck

OP
C
Thanks for the info. I've got two weeks and another tag, so if I tag out early I'll probably head there and buy the tag, since idk for sure if I'll get to it.

Black ice

FNG
350% in NR purchases?? For a herd that was in rough shape last couple years...best bring your track shoes if hunting public land this year.

Fatcamp

WKR
We didn't see a single antelope on our scouting trip. Hope they let my wife return her tag if she draws.

Black ice

FNG
Watch your step if in the SW, often the only cover you have for a stalk is also midday shade for buzztails.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
We didn't see a single antelope on our scouting trip. Hope they let my wife return her tag if she draws.
Its grim most everywhere in WY and Western SD. I was going to hunt both SD and WY this year and scrapped them both.

Fatcamp

WKR
Its grim most everywhere in WY and Western SD. I was going to hunt both SD and WY this year and scrapped them both.

Yup. Wife cancelled SD application, and based on what we just saw in WY we wouldn't shoot one there either.

Not to fear, they'll be back!

KurtR

WKR
did a big loop west river only seen one group its not good. We have not had a bad winter for a some years but the other two are problems

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Our group of 8 decided to not apply for firearms tags. Likely we won't apply next year either. I'll have a few extra days to shoot blue winged teal this way. :)

I surprisingly drew rifle antelope. Is it worth the trip this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
I have to say SD Pronghorn were the most jumpy crack head animals I have ever seen. When deer hunting I would see them from time to time and it felt like the pinned me from 1500 yards and ran like I was in bow distance. Hilarious. Makes some of the other Pronghorn I have been around or hunted seem like Yellowstone Elk.

Maybe over a waterhole, but I could not fathom putting a stalk on one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a quick loop through northern SD. I saw enough antelope on public that I would be happy to have a tag this year.