South Dakota

Wojo14

WKR
I have been reading and I see that the south western part of SD is pretty good Pronghorn hunting.
West of Custer, Grand river, fort Pierre.
I am looking at SD, because it is not so bad to drive to from Western PA.
Oh, ya, I wil be bowhunting, and camping out.
Any infor would be helpful.
~Wojo

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience the counties that get the most pressure are Fall River and Harding. I've also hunted Perkins and Butte counties. There are plenty of antelope in any of the counties, just pick an area and go.
When are you planning to go? Are you doing it DIY or guided? Spot and stalk or ground blind? I'm going out the opening week this year and I can't wait. It's less than 50 days away!

Sent using my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I was doing diy.
I guess keeping options open for spot and stock or ground blind.
I gues set up blind over water holes?
~Wojo

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I always set up my blind on day 1 and then spot and stalk for a couple days to let them get used to it.

Sent using my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
If your planning around time you already have off that would work. If you can take time off when you want I would come out around the week of September 10th when they rut. You can use a decoy to increase your odds. There is good public land to spot and stalk on in the counties mentioned above. Just be prepared to walk miles with cactus and rattlesnakes. If you want specific info on where you are going pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Hunting them with the decoy is a blast find the right one and they come in looking for a fight. I would second that 10th of September time frame.

jmez

WKR
Butte, Harding and Meade counties.

Look at SD Game and Fish website. They have a public lands PDF you can download. It won't be current, I think the new one comes our late August but it changes very little year to year. I believe there is around 50,000 acres of walk in areas in Meade county alone.

You can't camp on the walk in areas. You could camp at Newell Lake, North of Newell off highway 79. You can also camp at Belle Fourche Resevoir, east of Belle Fourche on 212. You would have a farther drive every day if camping there.

Pretty much all of the public lands in the above three counties will have antelope on them. There is enough of it and it is all close enough together you can just jump from place to place all day long.

If it doesn't rain waterholes are going to be the ticket. Very, very dry this summer so far so water will be a premium.

530Chukar

WKR
Not to hijack this thread, but how many points does it take to draw an antelope tag in SD? I'll be back there next year for Black Hills deer and wouldn't mind doing antelope too if the dates were close.

jmez

WKR
Not many. I got one last year with 0 points. I'm a resident though.

The draw odds should be on their website.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
SDGF&P has finalized the rifle antelope season for this year. They increased the tags from 2645 last year to 4665 this year. That opening weekend is going to be a circus. Three years ago my 12 year old son and I were trying to stalk up on a buck. As he was setting up for the shot a truck pulled up and shot over us from the road when we were clearly visible. They missed and took off, but it soured me from going that opening weekend.

vanish

WKR
Three years ago my 12 year old son and I were trying to stalk up on a buck. As he was setting up for the shot a truck pulled up and shot over us from the road when we were clearly visible. They missed and took off, but it soured me from going that opening weekend.

Had that same thing happen to my wife and I in Colorado in 2015. We were using a stalking shield and slowly closing in. Had about 50 more yards to go to her comfort range. Guy pulls up on the hill behind us, pops out of his truck and starts off handing over us at 400+. Shot at least 5 times. We were pissed. As we sat there the pronghorn went out of site, the truck roared off and the pronghorn circled right back into us from the other side, and we filled her buck and my doe tag. :D