SOUTH DATOKA ARCHERY MULEYS ON PUBLIC LAND

Lawnboi

WKR
It can be good. Can be bad. Can be crowded or not.

Your essentially asking how a basically OTC tag for everyone is. I wouldn’t expect too much for info.

South Dakota also downt have the vast expanses of public neighboring states do, just something to keep in mind.m

Some of the guys here seem to make it look easy. But imo it’s a tough hunt, especially if your looking for a mature deer.

Turkey165

FNG
You got to put your time in. If you can can find/catch them on there feeding patterns it alot of fun.

sasquatch

WKR
Only been once, it was harder to find them and bed them than it was to stalk them.

Took me a few days to find a little herd, after that I made two successful stalks. Made a bad shot on one in the high winds and killed the other.

45ad66da9b250d694e3ee40bb15d10a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Very hit or miss. Saw a ton of people this year compared to previous years. Still can find good deer but have to think outside the box and walk a ton. There's good opportunity, but other states certainly have better hunting.

Scottyboy

WKR
Very hit or miss. Saw a ton of people this year compared to previous years. Still can find good deer but have to think outside the box and walk a ton. There's good opportunity, but other states certainly have better hunting.

Exact experience I had, places I have never seen people before...had several run-ins with other hunters. I will keep going as it’s a short/easy drive but I feel there are states with much better opportunity

CP6

FNG
It was really crowded last year and I’ve seen more buzz on forums this year than ever before. My opinion is that the state has some decent mule deer hunting but most of it is on private and the deer are getting heavily pressured on public. Saw lots of hunters last year and not as many deer. Just my two cent, also before the first cold snap really really watch for prairie rattlers. I stepped on one two years ago and got very lucky with a low strike.

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I had an awesome first time south dakota archery mule deer hunt. I spent 2 days just driving around parking hiking and glassing, glassing from the truck to get a feel for what was going on. On the evening of the 3rd hunting day I arrowed a nice 4x4 150'' muley. And my hunting buddy got it done on the 7th day with a smaller 3x3, he is a new hunter and was more than thrilled! spend the remainder of the days shooting prarie dogs and stalking speed goats. Just put your time in AND GET OUT OF THE TRUCK to hike in and glass and you will do just fine. The only time I saw other hunters they were in there trucks glassing, aside from one awesome area which I will not mention out of respect from a local who critiqued my planning. Just get out there and go!

Funny some mention the hunter numbers being up, that is exactly what we found last year. We went just before rut and gun season and it just felt overrun vs previous years. We thought it was just the time of year.