south east alaska black bear hunting

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I went on a boat hunt out of whitter ak 2 years ago and loved it. it was my grampas last hunt and i wanted it to be a trip of a lifetime and it was. I have been trying to figure out how to do this same type of hunt on my own ever since. I think i finaly have it figured out. fly to ketchikan, jeaneu, wrangel, pettersburg... then charter a otter flight out to one of the forest service cabins. rent a inflatable raft and a small outboard and have it flown in with us. i have found the places to get all the stuff and the logistics are there. My question is has anyone else done this?
Thoughts?
concerns?
we are looking at a 2014 hunt right now so we have a lot of time to plan it out. we are doing a float trip for moose this fall and a elk muzzy hunt in 13.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep. The FS Cabin in the area I picked got blown down so we used my tipi. Very tough hunt. VERY thick and wet. Fishing was great, but the bears were on the pink salmon which were everywhere, so were tough to find.

P8290792.jpg

P9020855.jpg

P9010827.jpg

P9020851.jpg

Bighorse

WKR
Can be done. Consider that you may want to apply for permits if your season or location coresponds with the new non resident drawing requirments in some SE Black Bear hunting areas. I like Steve's method of using a packraft. I used inflatable kayaks for this purpose. Renting a Zodiak may not be required in the fall because you will be hunting primarily on the Salmon streams. In the spring you can get dropped anywhere. If you think hard and localize you may not need great mobility just great patience. I'll be going to Kuiu this spring for Black Bear Mid May. I've done numerous trips in SE Alaska for bears. I'll leave it at that. It's awesome your planing such a great trip. It's very special beyond the bear, SE is a great place as you've already experienced.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
i am suprised that you suggest and didnt use a zodiac and small motor. where we went we covered alot of area with the big boat and still covered alot with the small rafts. I know we left alot of bears behind when we moved the big boat but the bears we seen were scattered and in some areas there seemed to be none. we are thinking a spring hunt right now but hadnt thought of the salmon factor in the fall. could that make for a better hunt? there is just so much to figure in for the planning on a trip like this.

B

bearguide

good pics /gthe cabins can be great, just make sure you talk to the rangers in the area to check which ones to use