South east grouse

I am wondering if anyone else on here has done much of any grouse hunting in the southeast primarily Georgia/Tennessee. I am looking to give it a go in north Georgia soon and was looking for solid advice. I know it’s hard and it’s going to be even harder since I do t have dogs but I’m up for a challenge

Thetinker

FNG
Growing up in the 90’s I would jump some in central TN (close to Crossville) but I have no idea what it’s like now. I’ve heard there are some in eastern TN around Johnson City but I don’t have any personal experience there. Yet. I have relatives there and with any small excuse I’ll take my GSP’s for a little trip up that way.

WMag338

WKR
I have actively hunted grouse in NW SC. I have jumped one in five years.
Wow! Born and raised in upstate SC and been all over the mountains my whole life hunting. Never seen one in SC. Have seen them as far south as Rosman, which isn’t too far from Northern Pickens. People say they are here and there is a season for them. I wouldn’t have the heart to shoot one here in SC. I have hunted them with a guide and dogs in Weaverville, NC. Decent population of them there. 3-5 flushes per day would be an excellent day there.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I've flushed one pair in Georgia while scouting for deer. The habitat isn't great for grouse or deer in those mountains, but I have heard North Carolina has better populations. No experience with that.

Occasionally USFS tries to get public comment on proposals to improve habitat. If you see those please support them so we can have something other than mature forests, which are great for bear, squirrel, and not much else.

OP
Woodman334
Well looks like this is why everyone I know who hunts grouse calls it “hiking with a shotgun” 😂

OP
Woodman334
When I was a freshman at Auburn I did some backpacking around the Appalachian trail/ Duncan ridge area frequently and I jumped a couple. Really hoping some initiatives get taken to help support grouse habitat in the SE

FLATHEAD

WKR
In N.Ga, I would say the problem is the lack of select cuts, there's just not a lot of good habitat.
Mostly mature hardwoods.
It could probably be epic with the right management.

OP
Woodman334
In N.Ga, I would say the problem is the lack of select cuts, there's just not a lot of good habitat.
Mostly mature hardwoods.
It could probably be epic with the right management.
Agreed, feel like it could have some big positive economic impacts down the road, because as it sits I hear of next to no one who hunts them anymore.