South Kodiak Adventures

JC hunter

FNG
Looking to do a blacktail hunt on the south end of Kodiak island. Has anyone hunted with South Kodiak Adv. would do a boat based hunt but it may be hard to get on one by myself. SKA is based out of Akhlok ak. Thanks J. C.

Mike B.

FNG
I'm certainly not the foremost expert, but the south end of Kodiak is wild! I've done two trips, both DIY and they've both been unforgettable. The guide will help focus your efforts a lot better and the boat will especially help you guys cover a ton of country. The only outfitters I've heard about are Larsen Bay Lodge and Kodiak Combos, both have been highly recommended.

As far as the south end of the island, get ready for some awesome deer hunting, but also be ready for rain, and wind and lots of bears! But if you're smart and don't mess with them, then they shouldn't be an issue. I'm addicted to Sitka Blacktails, they are such cool deer, and I'll be back time and time again for more! Hope it works out for you.

OP
J

JC hunter

FNG
Thanks Mike. What part of Mont. are you in? lived in Belgrade for 3 years back in Mich. now.

Nooksack

FNG
Don't know anything about SKA, there are two other boat based operations in the area that I know of. However it looks like SKA would have access to native land that the other two don't, thats good. I was down there for a month this fall, and until the heavy snow there we're very few older bucks. Lots of three pts. Depending on the winter next fall may be better hunting for bigger bucks. Could be pretty good now judging by the weather to this point.
Would be happy to share some more info, but don't have 10 posts. There are some other options.

Mike B.

FNG
Thanks Mike. What part of Mont. are you in? lived in Belgrade for 3 years back in Mich. now.
@JC hunter i'm in Missoula till summer 2023. I'm in the Army so I move around a lot haha.

@Nooksack is right, ask about access to native land. Flying over native land we saw more mature bucks than you could ever dream of. Definitely something to check into. And snow helps a ton, lets you peak into the alders and the deer stick out more.

I'm getting excited just talking about it, gotta get back there!