South Texas Nilgai Hunt - Public Land

FlyGuy

WKR
I did the Nov 15 archery hunt and had an incredibly good time! I did not get a Nilgai but I came so, so close on 3 out of 4 days.

This close, actually:

8eb457ef463ccc53958f2da1d48f286b.jpg

ce3434858fde804f8f1b6c99bd8b947e.jpg
786ede50156b7b369f9031b9b5ff640b.jpg

This tail came off of a Nilgai cow that was calmly feeding at 65 yards. I really took my time and released a perfect arrow, then watched it tracking with building anticipation. Her head was buried in grass, but as the arrow was about 2/3 of the way there the sound of the bow registered with her and she bolted forward. It was unbelievable to watch her move (almost) completely out of the way of that incoming arrow. So maddeningly frustrating, but so amazing to see at the same time. I really can’t do any better than that, so I tip my hat to you mrs Nilgai.

I was within 65 yards of two other cows as well but made mistakes or couldn’t get drawn. They are amazing creatures to hunt and I hope I get drawn for archery again next year.

I also took this sow... AT THREE YARDS! I had glassed up this solo hog at ~ 1000 yards and was slipping in around a cut bank. Closing the last 50 yards to its last known location with an arrow nocked when I suddenly hear piglets screaming bloody murder. Took a second to register what I was hearing, but as soon as it clicked I came to full draw and just in time to hear the sow coming fast. She was full on snorting and growling and looking to clean house. She was up on the bank (~ chest high) and coming full speed. As soon as she cleared the brush I let the arrow go and she dropped in her tracks! Talk about an adrenaline rush!!!

37b1f445d340d6d4982047d824aaf039.jpg
70f314482a22ac0f7f9719de9a5180d1.jpg
b249cc0da916313ae51188bfb3ec3435.jpg

I know most guys archery hunt these Nilgai like WT, but I went full-on spot and stalk and had a ball. 42.4 boot miles in 4 days.

The best part is that I also drew a tag for the 1st Rifle hunt there so I’m going back next week!!! It’s about all I can think about! Definitely bringing a bike next time and in fact just bought a new Salsa Timberline that I’m getting set up with now. I want to bring a trailer but I don’t think I’ll have time to get that together.

I posted a lot more details and pics on the “Atascosa 2019” thread on TBH if anyone is interested to see more.

You can’t cheat the mountain

FlyGuy

WKR
It’s not hard at all, it’s just time consuming to walk vs bike.. Whether you are walking or biking, most of the distance will be on pretty good gravel roads and all of it is flat.

And you don’t have to travel to “the back” to get away from pressure. Like anywhere else, just try to find those overlooked areas. In fact, the only mature bull and the only buck (a really nice 8pt) we’re both very close to a road and < 2 miles from the parking area.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Bumping this thread up. I drew the muzzleloader tag for the newly opened Bahia Grande unit mid Feb. Anyone been in this unit? Have anymore experiences to share? Also, if anyone is local and has a bike collecting dust, I’d rent it from you!