Southeast AK spring bear

SURVEYOR

FNG
I am headed to Kupreanof in May for a diy bear hunt. We are staying at a fish camp a few nights and in a forest service cabin a few nights as well and will be renting a boat.
For those of you who have done this before I have a few questions.
Do the beaches typically offer enough cover for bow hunting?
Also waders or no waders?
wolf hunting thoughts?
Any advice on gear or tactics would be appreciated. I hunted Kodiak a few years ago so thats the theme I’m packing for at this point.
Thanks

I haven't hunted that specific spot, but I've hunted the SE a bit, it's all the same.

Yes, the beaches are normally filled with debris, logs, grass, etc. There can be a lot of cover. The waders thing is hit in miss. I like them better than hip boots, especially getting out of the boat. Also, they can help you stay in the water longer cutting your profile down when stalking. I've used knee high rubber boots as well, alot actually, but count on getting wet as there always seems to be a tidal pool, crick, etc that is over your boot. Alot of guys don't like them, but I like the neoprene waders. They keep you warm in conditions when it can be really wet. Cabelas used to make waist neoprene, those always seemed like a good compromise between full on waders and hip boots.

Tips...........

Low tide before dark is your friend

Grass flats are quiet, rocky shoreline edges are filled with shells i.e noisy

Winds in those bays will betray you ........... alot

Narrow beach, stay low in the water

If it matters, orange on the bear = rubs

Most of all enjoy.

I haven't hunted that specific spot, but I've hunted the SE a bit, it's all the same.

Yes, the beaches are normally filled with debris, logs, grass, etc. There can be a lot of cover. The waders thing is hit in miss. I like them better than hip boots, especially getting out of the boat. Also, they can help you stay in the water longer cutting your profile down when stalking. I've used knee high rubber boots as well, alot actually, but count on getting wet as there always seems to be a tidal pool, crick, etc that is over your boot. Alot of guys don't like them, but I like the neoprene waders. They keep you warm in conditions when it can be really wet. Cabelas used to make waist neoprene, those always seemed like a good compromise between full on waders and hip boots.

Tips...........

Low tide before dark is your friend

Grass flats are quiet, rocky shoreline edges are filled with shells i.e noisy

Winds in those bays will betray you ........... alot

Narrow beach, stay low in the water

If it matters, orange on the bear = rubs

Most of all enjoy.
Some very useful information here, thank you. A buddy and I are also hunting Kupreanof from Calder Mountain Lodge. Neither of us have spent any time there, so thought having a lodge to help get our feet under us would be best for our first hunt up there.

I also drew Kuiu for 2022.

bushman

FNG
How are things looking in SEAK as far as bears getting out of the dens? Anyone know what snow conditions are like on Kuiu?