Southeast Alaska Mountain Goats

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys
I had a question for you folks who live/hunt Alaska frequently. I hunted several years back on POW for black bears with Johnnie Laird and he guided for mountain goats outside of Ketchikan. Sounded like that area held good populations of goats and some large ones too. Just wondering why I never hear folks talk about hunting that area. Is it because of the wet jungle like conditions ? There’s always a lot of talk about BC and Kodiak but never much mention of southeast Alaska. Don’t see a lot of outfitters either in that area. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to pick some peoples minds. That’s an area that enjoyed and wouldn’t mind making a trip back up there at some point to chase critters.
Thanks
Eli

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Personal experience having lived in Ketchikan a few years ago, the goats are plentiful and in great condition. The tags for the Ketchikan unit are limited and hard to come by I think at least partly because honestly it's not that hard to access them. Any alpine hiking trails out of the town put you in goat country and any flyovers across the island(s) give good aerial visibility to large numbers of goats. I went on a fly-in SE Alaska mainland hunt for goats a few years back which for residents is an OTC tag - got into younger billies, took one we found with ORF virus that needed to be taken out of the population. It was 3yo and measured just over 9 1/4" horn length. The country you find them in is absolutely stunning and fantastically green and lush given the rainforest environment. I'd recommend a hunt in the area for sure.

OP
T

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks AB, he was guiding in the Misty Fjords and I should have specified that.
I walked around Ketchikan and it’s a cool place. I haven’t done as much traveling as some people but when flying into Ketchikan, landing on an island and then taking a ferry into town to is pretty dang wild for a middle Tennessee boy. Haha

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
You will earn your goat in that area. I did an OTC hunt with Ed Toribio/Primo expeditions out of Ketchikan last season. His operation covers Misty Fjords National Monument as well as the draw unit previously mentioned. Fantastic hunt with top notch logistics and people. Killed a 49 & 4/8ths (green score) 8.5 year old brute. Kodiak has numbers for sure, but the quality of the extreme SE AK goats are tough to beat.

Gdavis3rd

FNG
I am considering hunting MG’s with lonesome dove outfitters in the Chugach. Anyone have any experience with that area and/or outfitter?

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramhunter

FNG
SE Alaska has incredible goat hunting opportunity, there’s goats that die of old age and have never see a hunter their whole life back in the Misty’s! I love hunting goats there and we are planning another goat hunt there this coming fall! I lived on POW Island for 18 years, have hunted goats in the Misty Fjords, Cleveland Penn, and the Ketchikan/Deer Mountain goat draw tag three times. SE Alaska goat hunts are no tougher than most goat hunts, other than the weather! there’s rain and then there’s SE Alaska Ketchikan rain! Trust me on it (Kodiak and any coastal range can get some crazy amounts of rain too) I spent 20 years in SE Alaska as a timber faller, we worked 6 days a week, rain or shine, mostly rain..lol You really have to be mentally prepared for the cold, wet and miserable weather SE Alaska can throw at you, setting in a tent for a week or two because you can’t hunt due to fog and rain will break a lot of folks! The last 4 goat hunting trips we made, we didn’t even go until we saw a break in the weather and then went, thus the last 4 trips we ever saw one rain drop!

And yes, I know both Johnnie Laird and Ed Toribo! Ed is the goat hunting King! None have guided or killed more Boone & Crockett goats in Alaska than Ed Toribo! Ed has guided and killed himself three goats over 54’’ B&C, very few folks have ever seen a 54” plus goat, let alone killed three of them! IMO he’s a goat hunting legend, plus a very nice guy!

All goats are an awesome trophy in my book, but if you’re looking for big, look no father than SE Alaska or BC……of course IMO only!

OP
T

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. I sure appreciate the insight and the shared experiences.
Ram hunter that view would be hard to beat, not to mention that gorgeous weather! Good luck on your hunt this fall! I hope you kill a whopper and the sunshine smiles on you.

NUGGET

WKR
I am considering hunting MG’s with lonesome dove outfitters in the Chugach. Anyone have any experience with that area and/or outfitter?

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennis and all his guides are solid people. You won’t regret it!!

I’m working for an outfitter/guide in SE. There’s large old goats and basically no pressure. PM me if you want more info.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The back side of Revelajijado island (the island Ketchikan is on) is an OTC goat hunt. Access is more difficult than the front side of the island though. If all goes to plan, I will be on the backside this year for goats and blacktail. Once you are spending the money on a guide (required for non-residents to hunt goats) and a plane ride you might as well hunt the Misty Fjords area.

KBaird

FNG
Ramhunter, I’ve been a lurker on here since inception so cannot PM I guess. I found you on Instagram and sent you a message there, so if you see this first please check the IG inbox. Looking to get ahold of you about a SE goat tag I drew this year. My email is [email protected]. Thanks!