Southeast Hunters

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Recently moved to South Carolina. Lots of thick, low country and swamps. Any tips for hunting the swampy woods here?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in the upstate of SC-same state but pretty different terrain. There are other SC low country hunters here on Rokslide that might chime in but I would think getting off the ground (tree stand) could help particularly during archery or early firearm season when the greenery is at it's fullest stage. Visibility can be a challenge remedied by tree stand hunting.

Not sure how experienced you are but given you might have some super close encounters, scent control and minding the wind are very, very important. Beyond that you would look for the same things as any hunt for pretty much any species- food sources, bedding areas and if hunting public the ability to get away from others or use other hunters to your benefit by letting them unknowingly "drive" deer to you.

All the usual southeast US issues to contend with also-alligators, few snakes, itchy plants, a very determined species of mosquitoes and good or bad-wild hogs.

BTW-welcome to Rokslide. We'll look for some photos of deceased critters in the near future.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the upstate of SC-same state but pretty different terrain. There are other SC low country hunters here on Rokslide that might chime in but I would think getting off the ground (tree stand) could help particularly during archery or early firearm season when the greenery is at it's fullest stage. Visibility can be a challenge remedied by tree stand hunting.

Not sure how experienced you are but given you might have some super close encounters, scent control and minding the wind are very, very important. Beyond that you would look for the same things as any hunt for pretty much any species- food sources, bedding areas and if hunting public the ability to get away from others or use other hunters to your benefit by letting them unknowingly "drive" deer to you.

All the usual southeast US issues to contend with also-alligators, few snakes, itchy plants, a very determined species of mosquitoes and good or bad-wild hogs.

BTW-welcome to Rokslide. We'll look for some photos of deceased critters in the near future.

The gators, snakes, hogs and bugs (this bad) are all new for me haha. Plus the dog drives are different.

Appreciate the welcome and info, thank you

jimh406

WKR
I don’t know where you are coming from, but don’t underestimate how cold you can get when it rains. Ideally, you will have a rain suit to put on/take off when it stops.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have a 166lb 9pt I killed in the Green Swamp of central FL.
That is the last swamp deer I will kill.

You will learn the true definition of "thick", I love watching hunting shows and hearing them talk about how thick an area is. Agree with the thermacell, also a good pair of rubber boots, a comfortable climbing stand, and don't underestimate just how deep water deer will travel through is.

Dazzler

WKR
Some things to consider:

Thermacell
Snake boots
Hunting from an elevated position
Accessing by bike or boat if possible
Wait until it’s cold

I’m in SE. Archery opens mid OCT. Glad there is no temptation to chase velvet. Mainly hunt swampy bottoms like any other. Sign, food and bedding. Get up a tree to maximize FOV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny that so many folks think the only real hunting is out west. SC has 200lb deer, 300 lb hogs and 500 lb black bear-mind you not in great numbers but they are here.
If whitetails were limited in numbers like muleys ’s lot’s of folks would never see them.

And I firmly believe if you can consistently successfully hunt eastern turkeys, you can be successful on pretty much any species on the planet.

I should clarify and restate—there are PLENTY of 300 lb wild hogs in SC.

I would get a good climbing stand and get up in the air. I have hunted for 35 years in FL, SC , AL and GA and most of those places had pretty high understory. Getting up over that will be good. Especially earlier in the season.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would get a good climbing stand and get up in the air. I have hunted for 35 years in FL, SC , AL and GA and most of those places had pretty high understory. Getting up over that will be good. Especially earlier in the season.
Solid advice here.

Thermacells for mosquitos. 2 is 1. Keep spare carts and mats in your vehicle at all times. We have them on our packs and start them when we get out of the truck.

Snake boots. Don't try to keep your eyes peeled for snakes. You won't always see them. Every year some father or grandfather dies by getting bit wearing some other shoe. It's sad. Last year I think it was a grandfather taking his grandson in GA. Easily preventable. Just because it's cold or got below freezing doesn't mean they aren't out.

I bowhunt on the edge of this golf course. Someone just posted this on Facebook. I should be out there on the 15th of this month.
472D55D6-C9A0-4731-9E23-32311FC1ADD7.jpeg

I run a Garmin Sat device. Because cell signal usually goes from being OK to non existant real quick. Especially in the woods and swamps. The deadspots do not align with the published maps.

I don't dog drive. Don't like 99% of those who do. They worked hard to earn that reputation for me. So I avoid anywhere they might be.

Saddle hunting has been a huge benefit. Previously I used mobile treestands of one type or another. I would never go back. Get used to climbing trees and working at heights. Especially in the dark.

I don't get too heavy into scent control as I do the wind. You must do one if not both. I suggest the wind. Scent control did not work too well by itself. I use a bee smoker to smoke my hunting clothes with pine straw smoke.

Water. Bring some. Bring more than you normally drink. Don't be a heat casualty. Not ice water. Regular water. Drink it. Piss all over a small sapling or branches or a bush's leaves near where you setup. Deer cannot tell the difference between your pee and deer pee. The more surface area from the leaves the more the wind will carry the scent. Think firehose.

Cold happens here. And when it does its sudden. Bring something just incase. It may be 40-60 degrees on the ground but up in a tree with 10-20mpg winds it's not. I've gotten so cold up a tree in a climbing stand that I had a really hard time climbing down. Teeth chattering turned blue cold. Almost died that day. And it came on much quicker than any where else I've ever been. One of those stupid $5 tinfoil emergency blankets is solid insurance. Especially when it rains and doesn't snow because it's above freezing but not by much. Hot hands are also dope. Amazon sells reusable hand warmers you boil in larger sizes. 10 out of 10.

The deer will look up in trees for you. I'd argue Camouflage clothing isn't important. I'd also argue a face covering is beyond important. Or face paint. Especially when you are expecting 150yds and in engagement distances. I went from having them no closer than 170yds to within 5yds. All I did was cover up my big white face. I am also hunting pressured areas. Go to someones private farms with little pressure and it's completely different.

My last piece of advice. Since its sooo thick here most hunters have never shot long range of any sort. Most shots are 100yds and in. They don't shoot farther when they have the chance or if they do they miss. So the deer have learned how far away they can be and be safe. They will stand there at no care at 200yds and not get one yard closer. I've hunted a pile of farms and hunt clubs and have seen this over and over and over. If you can consistently shoot further there are opportunities for you. In the late season I get to go to all sorts of fancy ass places and shoot deer at distance for free. They don't want them all learning it. And those deer won't ever get closer. It's opened up a lot of cool places for me and led to some really awesome networking and friendships.

I hunt from Columbia to the coast. And Columbia down i20 through Augusta to Atlanta. Swamps, military bases, farms, woods, suburban to urban.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome to RS.

I’ve hunted SC (Zone 4). Lots of good advice above. Early in the season the ThermaCell is mandatory as others have said, but I’ve also worn a hat with bug netting, as well as other stuff. I don’t know that the TermaCell works for deer flies, or for anything while you are walking.
12B07E08-3C13-4C51-8E1B-226B4945A9E1.jpeg

Get out and scout early. Hopefully you can find a club or public labs close enough to do this after work. Rubber boots are definitely a good idea. :)

I watched this 200 pound sea island buck since March. Shot him on Tuesday evening. He was right where I had seen him many nights before.

June 2022
20220627_195505.jpg

Aug. 30 2022
20220831_185733.jpg

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Get out and scout early. Hopefully you can find a club or public labs close enough to do this after work. Rubber boots are definitely a good idea. :)

I watched this 200 pound sea island buck since March. Shot him on Tuesday evening. He was right where I had seen him many nights before.

June 2022
View attachment 448237

Aug. 31 2022
View attachment 448236
Neck shot? Note the skeeters