Southeast ID mule deer

Been hunting Idaho last three days since the opener near St Anthony, north junipers and up near Kilgore on the USFS land. After this snow storm will the deer be high on the mountains, or starting to leave the high country and head for the winter grounds? Ive seen does in both St. Antony desert and Kilgore timber hillsides. No bucks. Hunting primarly first and last light, focusing on areas with lots of deer sign as I hike and glassing aspen stands, timber edges, and everywhere inbetween. Any tips for finding bucks in these areas and not just does? Get up higher in elevation? Farther from roads? Thanks for any suggestions, first season deer hunting, no mentor, trying to put the pieces together on my own.

IdahoElk

WKR
I think if you're finding does the closer you get to the end of the month the bigger bucks will be hanging around them, right now the bucks seem to be hanging out by themselves in secluded spots, at least that's what I've been seeing.

OP
IdahoAngler85
Thanks. That makes sense, I'm wondering if the bucks will be with does in the next 10 days, when season ends, or if that takes longer? Ballpark time frame on an "average" year.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I am hunting Southeast Idaho as well and all I have been seeing is does and really small spikes and forked horn bucks. I have hunted high, low, and mid elevations and was really surprised by the lack of buck sightings during and after the snow storms.

OP
IdahoAngler85
I am hunting Southeast Idaho as well and all I have been seeing is does and really small spikes and forked horn bucks. I have hunted high, low, and mid elevations and was really surprised by the lack of buck sightings during and after the snow storms.
Well that makes me feel better, I thought I was missing something or not glassing the right spots. I guess I just need to put in more time and hope for a little luck. Thanks for the info.

seww

WKR
I've been out a few times since September, started with archery season. I've mostly seen deer in the fields driving, rather than hiking around.
However, I have no patience so haven't glassed a ton. Seen more elk and rams than deer. Been high and low, and in several units.

I finally found about 8 does and fawns yesterday and I believe they had a small buck with them, hard to tell.

I've talked with a few non-resident hunters that spent last week out in the bush and barely saw any deer, and in different units too.
I think luck is our biggest chance...

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
If any of you guys are hunting 56 and want to stay in touch let me know. We'll be there Thursday to give it hell

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
To add on, how do you guys think the roads will be with this rain coming in? Slick muddy mess or do they hold up relatively well down in that area?

To add on, how do you guys think the roads will be with this rain coming in? Slick muddy mess or do they hold up relatively well down in that area?
Roads typically turn into a nasty mucky mess. Thick clay that ends up caking up pretty thick onto the bottom of your rig. Also as you hike around you'll eventually be a few inches taller with that stuff caked onto the bottom of your boot. End up having to stop every so often to scrape it off.

seww

WKR
I've got family obligations this weekend but Sunday is free so that will be the last go for my deer tag.
I think I have a small buck located so I'll go there and see.