Southeast NM Mulie Newbie

wavygravy

FNG
I drew a mulie tag in SE NM (the desert) this year and have a few questions as the unit I drew in has little information available online about the conditions out there.

- I know I can camp wherever I would like (for the most part), whats the safety like for my shiz if I leave my camp during the day? I'm thinking about renting one of those little tab trailers for my trip, but wouldn't want to drag it with me everywhere I go.
- I have a set of Vortex 10x42 binos and a tripod for glassing and plan on looking west in the morning and east in the afternoons. I'm no trophy hunter but I'm debating getting a spotter or a better set of 10x50s to help. For those that have been in the area do you think that's enough?
- I already have a full sized spare on my truck and I'm running BFG AT's. I'm thinking I should get another spare just in case? I dont know how sharp those rocks are, not that I plan on rock crawling, but the nearest town to where I plan on hunting is 20+ miles away. Any advice there?
- I know to be looking for water sources, but everything I'm reading is that it's dry dry dry right now. I've found that by typing 'tanks' into Google Maps it brings up a lot of the pools, but I'm hoping to also find other sources away from the roads. How can I find those?
- Whats the quail / rabbit situation right now? I'm thinking about bringing a 22 / shotgun for some opportunistic camp meat.

For anyone wondering, it's unit 29 for 2nd rifle, south of Pinon. I know I drew this tag for a reason as my 3rd choice and it will be a tough hunt, but it'll still be a fun adventure. I've just never hunted in a desert environment before so understandably I'm doing my homework and seeing what the all knowing internet has to say. Appreciate the help!

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Rocks, sticks and cactus. I live in 19, all of those things are rough.

FLAK

WKR
Bring a couple spares and xtra gas, water and stuff for minor repairs. I've hunted on the 29-30 border and it is remote. Your 10x binos should be fine. Enjoy!!

JBHunts

FNG
Hunted 29 for many years. Most years you can catch deer in the mornings and evenings just on the NM side north of the crop circles on the Texas border. The road coming out of Dell City has a Y just a few miles into NM. Take Y to right and get on the ridge there. Glass and you will find deer. Just use OnX or Gaia to make sure where you are exactly as it is close to the state line.
Good luck.

Lytro

WKR
I've hunted 29 during archery twice and muzzleloader once, but all between 2013-2015. You should see a good number of deer, but quality bucks are few and far between. Be prepared to spend a lot of time behind your binos!

- I've never had any issues with people snooping around my camp, but there are a ton more people hunting there during the rifle season. With how remote that area is, ranchers and other hunters are the only people that should be around.
- You can see a long ways out there and it's fairly open with a lot of cactus and pinons. A spotter would definitely help, but it wouldn't be necessary if you're not concerned about inches.
- I never had a flat out there, but also brought an ATV to access some of the rougher areas. The road heading south from Pinon on the west side of the unit can be fine, or really bad depending on how recent it's been graded. The road running the east side was always a lot better because there are several ranches on it. I would bring a patch kit, air compressor, and gas cans.
- You should be able to find stock tanks pretty easily, but most will be close to roads. I wouldn't really focus on them too much. Glassing hillsides in the pinons will likely be your best bet. The deer will be feeding around them in the mornings and evenings, and likely bedded under them in the shade in the afternoon.
- I've shot a handful of quail in the flats close to the range, but they weren't super common. You'll see thousands of jackrabbits if you're interested in eating them, but you should also see some cottontail.