Southeast Outer Layer: Klamath?

oh_steen

FNG
I’m piecing together my clothing system for this upcoming fall after a long time away from hunting, and I’m having a hell of a time deciding what to wear my upper half. I’m not on a super tight budget, but I’d rather spend less on clothes and more on actually hunting.

Whatever I choose will be used almost exclusively for bow hunting whitetails and black bear in North Georgia and East Alabama. Mostly from a stand, but with some still hunting as well. Wind speeds average around 5mph during the fall and winter months and average highs/lows for my area are:

September: 83°/60°
October: 74°/48°
November: 63°/38°
December: 54°/32°
January: 51°/29°

I tend to run pretty warm, and I’ve spent several sub-30° days fishing in a FL Fuse base layer with just a Columbia Titan Pass fleece over it. Even stationary and with a breeze blowing I was plenty warm. I also used to have a Patagonia R1 that with a merino base kept me fairly comfortable in similar temps and circumstances. It’s my understanding that the FL Klamath is pretty similar to the R1.

From these experiences, I think that most days here in Georgia I’d be fine with the Klamath and fuse; however, I know there’ll be some days where warmth-wise they won’t cut it. The sleeves look a little too slim to fit anything more than just a base underneath, but several reviews mention the fit being large in the torso, so maybe there’s room for a puffy vest? I’ve been toying with the idea of throwing the Klamath on over an REI 650 fill power down vest for those especially cold mornings. I know that the Klamath isn’t meant as a true outer layer, but I think most folks aren’t as lucky to have such a relatively mild winter and I’d hate to spend $200-300 when the Klamath may suit my needs for only $140ish.

Has anyone done something similar? Any other guys from the Deep South have any other suggestions? Am I just being a penny pincher that needs to pony ~$100 extra for a catalyst and be done with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
You'd be fine with the Klamath or corrugate jacket on top of your other clothes. I use a relatively cheap redhead shirt of medium weight over my insulation layers and that works fine. Wish I could help on the fit of the sleeves.

Oh yeah, I'm in north Georgia too.

OP
oh_steen

oh_steen

FNG
I’ve also heavily weighed using the corrugate jacket. It seems like it would probably be my best choice. I could run it over just a base layer or as an outer shell with a fleece underneath. My only concern is I’ve heard it’s a pretty loud and swishy material.

In a perfect world, I’d just get the catalyst and call it a day. But I just bought a hang on and sticks, no way I can justify a $260 jacket to the wife lol.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
This isn't what you're asking so I apologize in advance, but for this year I bought a Plythal PreRut jacket from camofire. It's less than 50 bucks and seems very warm, plus has pit zip to dump the heat. The camo pattern they claim is proprietary looks suspiciously like realtree to me, but other than that it seems like a great jacket. I bought it so I wouldn't have to have the conversation with my wife that you're dreading having with yours. :D

Lowg08

WKR
I’m also in the southeast in WNC I wear a fuse under a klamath hoodie. I own a catalyst jacket. I’m also selling same jacket to go a different root. I’d rather have a puffy jacket and a rain jacket like a down or thunderhead. It has many more uses and makes packing easier. Just my opinion. You my also consider a used catalyst instead of a new one. My wife likes this idea. Another option is the peleton 240

OP
oh_steen

oh_steen

FNG
I’m also in the southeast in WNC I wear a fuse under a klamath hoodie. I own a catalyst jacket. I’m also selling same jacket to go a different root. I’d rather have a puffy jacket and a rain jacket like a down or thunderhead. It has many more uses and makes packing easier. Just my opinion. You my also consider a used catalyst instead of a new one. My wife likes this idea. Another option is the peleton 240

I know everyone is different as far as cold tolerance goes, but how low of temps do you use the Klamath/fuse combo?

Lowg08

WKR
I know everyone is different as far as cold tolerance goes, but how low of temps do you use the Klamath/fuse combo?

Just depends on wind and all That but I wear it active down to 40 and mid 50s sitting still.

10ringer

WKR
I wear the Kiln hoodie and Klamath hoodie combo in the 45-55 degree range when tree stand hunting. The combo is absolutely silent and a great choice with southern whitetail. The kiln is 250 weight vs fuse 200 weight so it’s a bit warmer. The Klamath being grid fleece is better for active use vs stationary but it will work. It’s highly breathable so it doesn’t block wind. Add a down jacket or vest and you can easily get down into the 30s. Fyi I run on the warm side and don’t get cold easily.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a corrugate jacket and it is a little loud and is just okay in wind but enough to take the chill off. Mostly wear it just to protect my baselayers and for brush busting. I was between the Klamath and the Kuiu Peloton 240 and went with the 240 which I love. Cuts the wind really well and has hand pockets which the Klamath doesn’t have so makes it a better outerwear option IMO. It’s too warm for anything over mid 50s though and I run warm as well. If cooler like 30-40 I wear a down vest over it and I’m very comfortable

I hunt n Georgia mountains and in the late season, the wind is always blowing. So I use Sitka with windstopper as my outer.

First lite merino is my base as well as my outer until October. Then the Sitka comes out. I do run colder though. There have been mornings I'm hunting around zero degrees and just no way I could imagine not having serious treestand insulation. I.e. A merino base, fleece vest, and fanatic outerwear.

OP
oh_steen

oh_steen

FNG
I hunt n Georgia mountains and in the late season, the wind is always blowing. So I use Sitka with windstopper as my outer.

First lite merino is my base as well as my outer until October. Then the Sitka comes out. I do run colder though. There have been mornings I'm hunting around zero degrees and just no way I could imagine not having serious treestand insulation. I.e. A merino base, fleece vest, and fanatic outerwear.

I ended up deciding on the FL corrugate. I plan to run my first lite merino until it gets cool, then switch to the corrugate. Once we get into late season, I’m gonna use it as an outer wind shell with some more hiking oriented (aka bright blue) underneath.

I kept finding myself window shopping the fanatic set. I love how thought out every aspect is, and I don’t think there’s a temp Georgia could throw at it that if couldn’t handle. That sticker shock is serious though… $900 for fleece is insane, no matter how many bells and whistles.

I ended up deciding on the FL corrugate. I plan to run my first lite merino until it gets cool, then switch to the corrugate. Once we get into late season, I’m gonna use it as an outer wind shell with some more hiking oriented (aka bright blue) underneath.

I kept finding myself window shopping the fanatic set. I love how thought out every aspect is, and I don’t think there’s a temp Georgia could throw at it that if couldn’t handle. That sticker shock is serious though… $900 for fleece is insane, no matter how many bells and whistles.
I woulda never bought the Sitka if it wasn't half off with the old camo pattern.
I'm so glad I did.
Every year at black Friday I update with a piece or two.

It literally changed the way I dress for hunting. I don't really care for pockets and fancy things.. The insulation and windstopper are where the money is worth it to me. I know others say they have windstopper, but Gore Tex is set apart in that area. I literally took two layers out of my other set up by going to fanatic.
If you are warm natured, a Stratus jacket is right up your alley. It's my go to for most of the season, as the windstopper really cuts the bite out of the cold. I'd buy that piece for 350$ all day. It's that good. Black Friday had them at 280.