Southern CO road access

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, first and foremost, I am NOT looking for hunting spots. I have onx, google earth, and plenty of time to find my own. I have a unit picked out and several access points picked out, but I have no way to determine if the roads still exist and/or what condition they’re in. I was hoping that someone local could pm me and simply let me know if the roads that I’ve found are open to public travel & navigable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TomJoad

WKR
Download the MVUV maps for your area from the forest service. This are updated seasonally and will show vehicle use permitted and any seasonal closure. these can be pulled directly into google earth as well. I don’t think onX has that ability (still) one of the reasons I think Gaia is superior as all of those layers can be added and customized.

Conditions have to be scoped on the ground although some may show in other 4x4 forums.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Also, you can almost bet that if it’s not a county maintained or FS road, and crosses private at any point, it will be gated and posted. Lots of good looking roads you find on google maps are going to fall under this category.

I ran into this in the unit I hunted in CO last year. Thousands of acres of public land blocked off by one or another tiny sliver of private that was gated and posted.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m afraid of.

FeHunter

FNG
Try contacting local a CO Parks and Wildlife officer for that area and other local public agencies that might use that road. We did that last year for a road we were unsure of and got some good info from them.