Southerner wanting to go on a sheep hunt

jda2631

FNG
I am from the MS, hunted here all my life, I am wanting to get started on putting in for tags and hopefully draw one one day. Being that I have never sheep hunted before, when/if I ever draw a tag somewhere I would almost assuredly hire a guide. I understand this will take years, but gotta start somewhere. My dream is to eventually get a bighorn and a dall.

Basically, where/how do I start? Which states have the highest chances for non resident? Do most people put in for as many states as possible? Which states have the most sheep? I was thinking lower 48 states and a bighorn first just for cost purposes, but is it easier to draw a tag in Alaska or Canada for a bighorn or dall?

Again I am just starting my journey into this, any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

WRM

WKR
Check the guided prices on those before you spend much time on it. Then factor in the future price. If you got the coin--go for it! A dream hunt, but a mighty pricey one.

Have you thought about a goat hunt as a starter? Much more reasonably priced, similar(ish) challenge, much more likely to be successful on a single hunt--lot of positives. And, you'll then have a better idea whether you are really cut out for sheep hunting (without doling out an inheritance to do it).

Last edited:

bates

WKR
If you really want to go then book a hunt. that is the only way to know 100% you can go sheep hunting.

I'm in my 30's and have been putting in for 10 years all over and I would consider myself lucky if i could draw just one sheep tag in my life but also know it might not ever happen. raffles are another good way to try for a tag.

Unfortunately the price has gone up alot here in the past few years, but if you really want to go, then i would book a dall hunt or like the other guy said you could do a goat hunt.

life is short, if you can go as soon as possible

FURMAN

WKR
You chances of drawing a tag, even if you apply every year in every state are very low single digits. The points creep almost assures you will never have max points. If you want to hunt sheep you need to make a financial commitment and book a hunt where tags are guaranteed. Once you figure that out you will need to get into shape.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Hire a guide in W. Texas and do a free range guided Aoudad hunt.
Closest thing you will find to a Desert Sheep hunt.
Much, Much less expensive, and you actually get to go sheep hunting instead of dreaming about sheep hunting.

WRM

WKR
life is short, if you can go as soon as possible

truer words....

What he said. Don't wait, if you really are committed to go (as in don't wait to start TRYING to go).

Honestly, look at all alternatives mentioned, and there are others. The realistic ability to do the type hunt you speak of are only getting more limited for any normal person. You can somewhat replicate the experience and ACTUALLY have the experience.

Why a lot of the guys I know go to Africa. You hunt, you kill stuff, you have a good time, you come home and you spend a lot less money.

Laramie

WKR
Just go do it - https://willowcreekoutfitters.com/alberta-bighorn-sheep-hunts/

If you wait for a lower 48 hunt, you will likely never hunt sheep. In Alberta, the tags through an outfitter are guaranteed. Cheapest I have seen is 20k but many hunts are 40-70k for reputable guide and 2 weeks or so to get it done. Physically it will likely be the hardest hunt you can imagine. Get into marathon shape and it will still kick your tail.

Here’s my advice for what it’s worth. Start reading literally everything you can find regarding sheep, especially on this forum. There’s so much available to learn from. Your choices, as others have said, are there for the taking RIGHT NOW.
I say this with all due respect and from experience. I waited a lifetime always saying “someday soon”. I wasted my early, and middle I guess, years. I leave on my 1st sheep hunt in 37 days, at the age of 64. I’m in good health and shape and in no way expect this to be my only sheep hunt but to think of all the hunts I missed. Start reading and DO IT!!!

I am from the MS, hunted here all my life, I am wanting to get started on putting in for tags and hopefully draw one one day. Being that I have never sheep hunted before, when/if I ever draw a tag somewhere I would almost assuredly hire a guide. I understand this will take years, but gotta start somewhere. My dream is to eventually get a bighorn and a dall.

Basically, where/how do I start? Which states have the highest chances for non resident? Do most people put in for as many states as possible? Which states have the most sheep? I was thinking lower 48 states and a bighorn first just for cost purposes, but is it easier to draw a tag in Alaska or Canada for a bighorn or dall?

Again I am just starting my journey into this, any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.
You start by going to the Sheep Show in Reno 😀,

If you are Rich$$$ you book a hunt.

if you are poor or cheap, you move from MS, and hope to draw as a resident before you are dead (at this point a Non resident cannot plan on ever drawing a tag in 100 years, even a resident in most states won’t either)

or go hunt the Montana unlimited units to learn, or move to BC and hunt stones and bighorn over the counter!

T28w

WKR
You start by going to the Sheep Show in Reno 😀,

If you are Rich$$$ you book a hunt.

if you are poor or cheap, you move from MS, and hope to draw as a resident before you are dead (at this point a Non resident cannot plan on ever drawing a tag in 100 years, even a resident in most states won’t either)

or go hunt the Montana unlimited units to learn, or move to BC and hunt stones and bighorn over the counter!
I thought I read on here that residents in Alaska get sheep tags without issues. Is that incorrect?

bates

WKR
Yes residents can get OTC sheep tags, and put in for the draw units.

So yeah moving to Alaska would provide lots of opportunity

I don't think you have to be rich to sheep hunt, just has to be a priority and you have to want to do it.

I know guys who have worked side jobs and hustled to go, now that is getting tougher to do bc of the recent increases in price.

Plus alot of outfitters will work with you on making payments, I have paid for both of mine over a 3 to 4 year time period. Gotten the alasaka credit card to save on flights, etc.

I cant tell you how many people have told me, they wish they would of done one back when they were younger.

Alaska hunt rates are probably going to be what the NWT was pre-covid, no telling what or when the nwt will open up and i am sure prices will go up.

I wouldn't expect any deals in sheep hunting for 3 to 5 years.

jwatts

WKR
I'm from MS also, and I did a dall sheep hunt in AK in 2019. Pretty much like everyone has said, start saving to book a hunt, or try to win a hunt through the Sheep Show or many other WSF raffles. Most outfitters are booked far enough out that even after you put a deposit and book a hunt you'll have time to save the money to cover the remainder of the hunt cost.

Here's a link to a thread I put up about my hunt. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/first-dall-sheep-success.141048/

Mojave

WKR
Move to the NWT or Yukon
I am serious about that.

These are the Alaska towns where you could hunt sheep on a federal subsistance permit in Alaska.

Anatuvik Pass
Tok
Delta Junction
Glennallen
Barter Island

Everyone of the other Alaska units you will be competing with locals from Anchorage and Fairbanks who fly out.