Southpaw 7mm rem mag

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting my first left hand bolt gun. I've been shooting old school right hand Remington 700s (1949 721 .270 and 1971 700 30-06) my whole life with no issue, but am looking to upgrade to a magnum. Why? IDK money burning a while in my pocket and looking to increase accuracy and range for elk. I also want to retire the Remington's, they are still in great condition and mean a lot to me as they are family heirlooms.

I've narrowed down to either the Savage 110 storm LH or the Tikka t3x lite LH:

I like the adjustable stock and aluminum bedding on the Savage

I like the weight and superb reviews of the Tikka.

What are your opinions? I'm open to other suggestions but would like to stay at $900 or less. I'm also open to a 300wm (they are actually in stock) but never having shot one am a little hesitant with the recoil (no brake).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Just started using a t3x lite 7MM this year. With a scope and sling it's 8lbs all up. It's a joy to carry and recoil is a little stout, but manageable (most of my experience is with an '06 and 270). This is the first rifle I've owned or shot where I've actually been able to shoot MOA at 100 yards (I'm not a recreational shooter, just enough each year to sight in). Love it so far.

Tikka is always, in my experience, accurate. The 7mm is stout and it is hard to regularly shoot for groups with the recoil, unless you find someone to install a break. With that said, if you do not shoot much and don’t mind recoil, go with the 7mm. Tikka t3x makes a great gun!

rootacres

WKR
I don't own one but can vouch for the Tikka accuracy. I watched my Dad go from a guy that hasn't shot passed 100 yards in his life to taking the Tikka in the video to an intermediate range shooting school (300yd-750yd) and doing as good as anyone in the class. All with factory Barnes ammo. Adding a break isn't much of an issue with those rifles. Too bad that new Roughtech isn't available in LH yet.

Tikka T3x Lite LH 300 WM
250 yard shot

Spoonbill

WKR
Can’t really go wrong with a tikka and there is starting to be a decent amount of aftermarket stocks for lefties as well. Between your two choices, I would get a tikka.

fishslap

WKR
I’m also looking to add a lefty 7mm to the collection next year. I was looking at tikka, savage, or browning. It will be my do everything gun.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Just started using a t3x lite 7MM this year. With a scope and sling it's 8lbs all up. It's a joy to carry and recoil is a little stout, but manageable (most of my experience is with an '06 and 270). This is the first rifle I've owned or shot where I've actually been able to shoot MOA at 100 yards (I'm not a recreational shooter, just enough each year to sight in). Love it so far.
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Are you shooting factory ammo and if so what is it?

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own one but can vouch for the Tikka accuracy. I watched my Dad go from a guy that hasn't shot passed 100 yards in his life to taking the Tikka in the video to an intermediate range shooting school (300yd-750yd) and doing as good as anyone in the class. All with factory Barnes ammo. Adding a break isn't much of an issue with those rifles. Too bad that new Roughtech isn't available in LH yet.

Tikka T3x Lite LH 300 WM
250 yard shot

Thanks for sharing. Your dad looked shocked by that monster! Where did that bullet hit him? All the elk I've killed with 270 and 30-06 haven't reacted like that, you couldn't tell it was a hit unless it was a spine or front shoulder. The way he reacted is promising to be worth the extra recoil!

rootacres

WKR
Thanks for sharing. Your dad looked shocked by that monster! Where did that bullet hit him? All the elk I've killed with 270 and 30-06 haven't reacted like that, you couldn't tell it was a hit unless it was a spine or front shoulder. The way he reacted is promising to be worth the extra recoil!

I am a firm believer in shoulder shots on bull elk (with the correct bullet/caliber and distance). The shot was right in the center of the shoulder. I took a bull 4 days after this vid was made, also with a perfect shoulder shot using a 7mm WSM. The reaction wasn't quite the same but the bull was noticeably messed up and only made it about 15 yards. The 300 WM was using 180gr Barnes TTSX factory ammo. Mine was a 168 Berger Classic Hunter reload doing about 2850 fps MV.