Southwest Archery Spyder XL Takedown Recurve Bow: Any thoughts?

RiverBear

FNG
It should work for you as a starter just keep the weight light so you can focus on form. An other thing you could check out would be an ilf set up. You can get risers and limbs pretty cheap and than down the road upgrade one at a time to save on cost.

Btaylor

WKR
I agree with River Bear and would say look at the ilf options as well. I just set up an ilf longbow for $350ish new. If had gone with recurve limbs that price could have been a fair bit lower due the high number options available for recurve limbs where there are not a tone of ilf LB limbs. Either way the cheapest used LB I had found that I would have considered buying was $100 more than I paid and most were $200 and up more. The other good thing about an ilf setup is you can start with lighter limbs to build form and then are only replacing limbs to move up in weight.

GregB

WKR
The ILF option is a really good idea because you are going to want to start light to learn to shoot, and then move up in weight as you progress. If not that Southwest bow would be fine to start. When I first started I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a great and crappy bow. I bought a $200 used Bear to start out. That way you can figure out how to shoot what you do/don't like in a bow etc. without a huge investment. Then you can look at a higher end bow. A word of advice is go light when you start. I went from a 70# compound to a 50# recurve and was still over bowed, it cost me a lot of time a developed bad habits when I first started. 35- 40# would have been a better starting point. If you can find a coach in your area that would be beneficial as well. RMS Gear sells used bows on their site and you might be able to get a better quality bow for not much more than the one you're looking at. good luck.

Just started shooting recurve about 2 months ago with the Spyder XL. So far, a great bow for getting started. Purchased at RMS Gear and highly recommend Tom Sr's online video series/course and the Joel Turner online course - definitely helps with the learning curve. Have fun.