Southwest bivy vs tent

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted the SW a few times (AZ, NM), and am trying to decide if I want to stick with my current setup or go with a lightweight bivy for future hunts. I’m currently using a lightweight 2-person tent, which weighs a little over 2 lbs., but a bivy (borah, katabatic, etc) only weighs 6-8oz. I have no problem sleeping outside, but my concern is the creepy-crawly stuff like snakes and spiders. Not sure if the concern is warranted or not. Anyone have any insight?

Depending where in NM or AZ it could work. In lots of places it doesn’t make much sense.

For me, I would not use a bivy. Don’t see that much upside to sleeping in a coffin-like structure.

While it is unlikely that a rattlesnake can bite through the bivy and your bag, why risk it. Not a good setup if and when a bear or mountain lion walks up to check you out in the middle of the night. Would be a blast to be in when a group of smugglers (human or drugs) walks through camp at night; unpleasant enough in a large group setting in full-sized tents. Have had enough elk take out tent lines to know that there’s a chance of getting stepped on when in a bivy. Lastly not a fan of the setup when a skunk comes and says hello.

A few ounces saved isn’t always worth it. It is especially true when it doesn’t make sense as you have to do a traditional camp anyways due to water limitations (I’m not planning a hunt around filtering water from feces-filled stock tanks) and/or high heat in many places (higher chance of meat and/or hide spoiling plus higher use of water).

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I did a javelina/coues hunt in January. No concern about snakes or scorpions at night that time of year. Forecast was 0 chance of rain. So we opted to leave the tent behind. We had no problems.

However, bears are a real concern when sleeping in Arizona mountains. We saw plenty of bear sign (scat everywhere and a den high up a mountain at the top of a rockslide). After we killed two javelina and cooked them in camp we moved out of that country and into a whole new section. I've thought about rigging an electric bear fence. I would sleep easier and it could also be used to guard a carcass. I don't think a tent offers any protection whatsoever from a bear that can smell and hear you sleeping on the other side of 1mm nylon.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with AZ hunter. Bivies make me claustrophobic. Roomy tent or nothing please

Experienced AZ hunters, what months of the year is a tent or cot necessary to keep the scorpions at bay?