Southwest CO Elk disappointment

Mmcan

WKR
Spent almost 2 weeks in Units 70 and 71 at varying elevations and locations. Saw 1 bull, no bugling, minimal recent activity of elk or deer. Similar reports and impressions from other hunters and forest service people. Read an article last year about the decreasing number of elk in SW CO. Thinking they had it right.

Anyone have any better reports from the general area?

I have been living and hunting there for the last few years and I have been seeing less and less elk each season. However, the number of folks coming down there to hunt hasn't changed much so I guess mathematically someone should find them.

marktole

WKR
I was in 70 or 71 for a day during my hunt. We saw 1 cow, which I actually drew on at 22 yards, but didn’t get a shot. I guess we did see one other group of elk, 2 cows and 2 calves, but that was it. No bulls, no bugles.

After one (and a half) days of that, my buddy and I picked up and moved to a totally new area and were into bugling bulls every day.

Just got back from a week in 71. No bugles but did find fresh sign daily, just couldn't get eyes on them. Could've easily tagged out on Mule Deer however.

I know a guy who hunts really hard and he couldn't find the elk in unit 84 like he has in the past. Never heard a bugle in two weeks.

brsnow

WKR
With all the moisture this spring/summer , it is not shocking they are not where they typically are.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Im heading that way for 1st rife. The guy who we are staying with is seeing good numbers of elk when driving around nearly every day- right place, right time I suppose