Southwest Desert elk expo tag

Hi all,

So I just drew the southwest desert muzzleloader elk tag from the expo! I am a lifelong AZ native who just this week moved to Ohio this past week. I am currently weighing all of my options as what to do with or without a guide and was wondering what feedback some of you in the know may have. Was really wondering how difficult it is to find bulls in this unit especially those older bigger bulls with limited pre scouting on my part. Have had some guys who know what they are doing in that unit offer to help as well as spoken to a guide both seem like very good options. Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this hunt.

Thanks,

Shawn

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I use to live in Milford, but never have hunted the unit. It's big and vast, filled with small mountain ranges between huge valleys. The area is dry and it seems every time going out there my dad would always get a flat tire. Without boots on the ground pre-scouting there's a few areas I would key in on for sure while hunting. The nice thing about your tag is it was cheap and you don't lose any points!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

WRO

WKR
Its basically an oil opportunity so treat it as such.

I'd hire a great outfitter and hold out for a giant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Its basically an oil opportunity so treat it as such.

I'd hire a great outfitter and hold out for a giant.

Your right on that one. I absolutely love DIY but there comes a time where you just need to hire a guide.

OP
S
I use to live in Milford, but never have hunted the unit. It's big and vast, filled with small mountain ranges between huge valleys. The area is dry and it seems every time going out there my dad would always get a flat tire. Without boots on the ground pre-scouting there's a few areas I would key in on for sure while hunting. The nice thing about your tag is it was cheap and you don't lose any points!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Only had two points going in to this year to boot! Yeah big dry country. I am sure it would pay big time to go with someone who knows all the little honey holes. Outfitter time!

WRO

WKR
Only had two points going in to this year to boot! Yeah big dry country. I am sure it would pay big time to go with someone who knows all the little honey holes. Outfitter time!
Chances are you'll never draw sw desert in your life time with 2 points...

I've done several good tags over the years, I'm going guided for any great tags I draw going forward, I love diy hunting but it's just too hard to do it justice on a great unit that you don't live close to..

slobow

FNG
skowalaski, 10 years ago tag of a lifetime! Just talked to a friend who still guides there and he says unit is far from a great unit anymore. Actually much worse than that..sorry. I would be happy to pass on his name if you would like it.

WRO

WKR
The good guys still smash giants in there.

I would be talking on Wade Lemon/Mossback etc about what can be expected.

Every unit sucks, just ask the right person. :)

My favorite hunting mantra...It only takes one. If the only elk you see is a 350 bull...boom.