Southwest Kansas/Northwest Nebraska Bow Hunting

bwjones

FNG
Looking for any info on bow hunting mule deer late October in southwest Kansas (Cimarron Grassland) and northwest Nebraska (Oglala Grassland). Temps? Layers needed? Color/type of camo? Can you backpack in and camp? Late October or Early better? Basically anything anyone would be willing to share as this will be my first semi-western hunt.

Traveler

WKR
Late October in NE is like a lot of places, could be 80 or 20. Focus on layers so you’re prepared for either. Avoid camo patterns that try to mimic vegetation, and focus on breaking up outline. Under armor and first lite make good patterns for nebraska grasslands and bluff/brush country.
have good optics for glassing, that’s the name of the game out there

OP
B

bwjones

FNG
Late October in NE is like a lot of places, could be 80 or 20. Focus on layers so you’re prepared for either. Avoid camo patterns that try to mimic vegetation, and focus on breaking up outline. Under armor and first lite make good patterns for nebraska grasslands and bluff/brush country.
Thanks

OP
B

bwjones

FNG
Would you recommend FL Fusion? Kuiu Vias or Valo? I have mostly swapped to solids (browns, tans, & greens) but do still have a Kuiu Axis, Guide Pants, and rain gear in Verde 2.0 but it’s all mainly for cold weather

Traveler

WKR
Would you recommend FL Fusion? Kuiu Vias or Valo? I have mostly swapped to solids (browns, tans, & greens) but do still have a Kuiu Axis, Guide Pants, and rain gear in Verde 2.0 but it’s all mainly for cold weather
I prefer the first lite fusion or Valo, but really any of those would work. I would go with the ones that are most comfortable and durable. I prefer lighter outer layers since I hunt hot and cold places. Later up for warmth. Solid bottoms are fine too, but would keep camo on top since a lot of stalking there ends up having to go over a top of a hill.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think there are too many places in the Ogalala where you get far enough back to justify backpack camping. I would plan on camping by your truck and staying mobile. We were surprised to see how much pressure there was during archery last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk