Sow vs boar identification.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I have some trail camera pictures of a bear and I was wondering if people who have more experience with black bears could help me identify if this bear is a sow or a boar. Also, how much do you think it weighs? I have a guess on the sex but I want to see what other people think. If you think you know what the sex is it would be great if you explained exactly why. Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
That's a tough one for me. I'd call sow based on the second picture due to the fat ass and short neck....but then the damn thing is a giraffe making me think fat boar. The first and last don't do much for me.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
My guess, going by the second and third pics, would be sow. Due to pear shaped body and relatively small ankles on the front legs.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say sow, but couldn’t exactly tell you why. I’ve been wrong before. Saw a bear across a clear cut last year and started up on the predator call. Looked like a boar to me. It started coming in then turned and went in to the timber and came back out with two cubs.

Bueltcm

FNG
So is it primarily torso/core shape that you use or is it leg size or other features that others use?

jhm2023

WKR
Looks like a sow to me. See how the hips are considerably larger than the shoulder/torso area. Much like humans, a sow will have wider hips for child/cub bearing but overall smaller stature otherwise. A boar's torso will look somewhat similar in size to it's hips.

McCrackin

FNG
I'd say Sow, under 300 lbs. Shorter front legs, pointy snout... There are Bear Identification videos online you can watch, we have one here in WA State that is decent. This is what 400 lbs. looks like, 6'4" nose/tail.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_190108522.jpg
    IMG_20190808_190108522.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 30

tdot

WKR
Could be a total newbie question but why does it matter? Or is it she a Curiosity thing

For Spring Bear, it's always nice to be able to identify a sow, as they may have cubs, even if you don't see them at first.

Even if they don't have cubs, it is (generally) healthier for a population to take the males, and not the females. Dudes in just about all populations are expendable. It takes 1 fella to impregnate a bunch of females. But the female can only get pregnant once a year or two (depending on species)

Males will typically be bigger in a given region, more meat. I also swear their coats have longer fur.

Others may have different reasons.

My vote on this one is a younger sow.

By body shape and head size and shape, I would say it is a sow. Bears can be tough because they vary allot on weight based on where they are living (which part of the country they are in). Mature boars typically have much wider front shoulders and larger noses compared to their head. Big mature boars also typically have thicker necks as well.

I'd guess sow, based on head size in proportion to the body. I would say she is an older sow due to her overall size. To me, young boars seem to have big feet and head similar to a young male dog. Just my thoughts though.