Space saving storage idea for small gear

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We already have a gear storage method for the big stuff-- packs, sleeping bags, clothing and footwear all have a place in a tote, closet or on hooks in the garage. It's the small miscellaneous stuff that I have been struggling to keep organized and accessible. Our spare bedroom had become a collection point for all the stuff I couldn't figure out what to do with, to the extent that you almost couldn't see the floor and finding things was becoming a nightmare. In trying to get ready for the start of our season, I finally tackled the mess and I stumbled upon an idea that I hope some of you might find helpful.

4AA06280-A0F7-4F0D-815B-2F735BA29DFE-10544-000005E15F89BCD7_zpsb249733b.jpg

It's a behind-the-door storage hanger designed for shoes, and made from clear plastic. I picked it up in the home storage/organization section at our local box store.
With the door open you don't even know its there, but it keeps all the little stuff organized and out of the way until we need it. I am sure the contents will change over time, but right now it's got the following small stuff sorted into individual pouches to make finding and packing things easier:
lighters/matches
para cord/shockcord
extra pack straps and buckles
spare havalon blades
Carabiners
Cameras/chargers/extra batteries
GPS
Headlamps
Solar charger
Contractor bags
Camping TP
Bug dope/mosquito coils
Travel packs of wet wipes/soap sheets/chapsticks/sunscreen

Would probably work for just about anything small and not too heavy...

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good god that's genius!!!!! I am pretty OCD when it comes to organization in my life and I have been going crazy with a tub full of little stuff like this. I am buying one tonight lol. THANK YOU!

Manosteel

WKR
My wife would consider what you did sacrilegious! lol if there is one thing I stay away from is her shoes or anything shoe related!

Good god that's genius!!!!! I am pretty OCD when it comes to organization in my life and I have been going crazy with a tub full of little stuff like this. I am buying one tonight lol. THANK YOU!

you wanna go get these after peak? i NEED this in my life...

So beneficial to have a women's eye as passionate about these things! That is awesome idea, thank you. One likely not be enough though. Just for mountain big game maybe, but the predator calling and archery gear might benefit from one each or share one. Great tip.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys, I was pretty excited that it worked, and figured some if you might find it useful too. Now I am thinking about all the wasted space behind all our other doors :)

You Alaskans are way too organized. I'm thinking your winters are too long ;)

Very possible! No, I actually spent all winter avoiding the mess in the "ebony and ivory" room as we call it (i have a Blackbear rug on wall, and Luke has a mountain goat rug on the other!). Now I am starting to get stuff organized, as our first real trip of the year is in three weeks.

So beneficial to have a women's eye as passionate about these things! That is awesome idea, thank you. One likely not be enough though. Just for mountain big game maybe, but the predator calling and archery gear might benefit from one each or share one. Great tip.

I am thinking very seriously about picking up a couple more... I filled the first one up without even trying, and I am thinking they would work for lots of our gear stuff. We still have a few doors not being utilized! It might also work well for food/cooking stuff, especially snacks, gels, coffee/tea etc. I have another idea I am working on for the Moffat food packing station, but may go back to the door hangers if it doesn't work out or I need more space.