SpaceX Starlink Internet Service

Anyone out in the sticks running StarLink Internet Service??

I signed up for Beta Testing last year, just got an email saying it’s available now in my area.

I’m buying in.....anything is better than what I have, right now the only thing we have is a dial up internet connection that is down constantly.

If the speeds they are saying end up true, (reviews are really good) this is going to change a lot of things in rural places.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I signed up last year and since have paid $99 to hold my spot for hardware and service. A friend from work has it and loves it so far. He’s had it for a couple of months and is completely happy.

OP
Travis Hobbs
I signed up last year and since have paid $99 to hold my spot for hardware and service. A friend from work has it and loves it so far. He’s had it for a couple of months and is completely happy.

That’s awesome to hear! Reviews have been pretty good. I think a bunch more satellites are going into service the next couple of days, supposed to make everything better.

EJMK

FNG
I’m in the same boat. We have no good service options including cell. I just got the email that the Starlink service was available in my area and I paid the $99 to get on the list. Really looking forward to getting it set up!

Anyone out in the sticks running StarLink Internet Service??

I signed up for Beta Testing last year, just got an email saying it’s available now in my area.

I’m buying in.....anything is better than what I have, right now the only thing we have is a dial up internet connection that is down constantly.

If the speeds they are saying end up true, (reviews are really good) this is going to change a lot of things in rural places.

Yes it will. Is that your best alternative option?

I definitely would not support it. To each his own, I know, but I have a strong dislike for musk and this idea in particular.

Keep us updated on what happens with it.

Just checked for my area in rural IL mid to late 2021 my only real options were Viasat and Hughesnet the latter wasn't even considered due to friends that had nightmares with their service or lack of. Viasat is not cheap and it's OK for the moment but will be interested to see how you guys that signed up for this deal like it.

OP
Travis Hobbs
Yes it will. Is that your best alternative option?

Hughes net is another option. But it’s a nightmare. Expensive, data limits, service interruptions.

Verizon works ok, gets me by most of the time. But the data throttle is real, and can really be tough sending large files, downloads.

Fiber is supposed to be coming, but I’m guessing it will be years til we see it. If at all

ODB

WKR
I am waiting to hear from someone who has mounted this to a trailer...I am thinking mobile base camp for working out west! I may try that later this summer once I get moved.

For the love of all that is holy, don’t tell any city dwellers this...our little Idaho towns are getting tight as ticks with people. Having a fleet of adventure vans with satellite internet and Instagram vanlife influencers in every little mountain town might be more than i can take...

As a Hughesnet user currently, I would not recommend this service to anyone who has another option. It's down everytime it rains, the data limits run out after 2 days in the month cycle. When you go over your data limit they throttle your account down to less than 1 mbs. for me it was .2 mbs. You can't watch any video at that speed and websites take forever to load.

For the love of all that is holy, don’t tell any city dwellers this...our little Idaho towns are getting tight as ticks with people. Having a fleet of adventure vans with satellite internet and Instagram vanlife influencers in every little mountain town might be more than i can take...
Unfortunately, they already know. The only savior of some places will be the awful winter and unwelcoming locals

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
They already do this with this his nomad internet hotspots and others currently available and the local coffee shops they can get their fancy frothed milk drinks. No offence meant to the frothy milk drinks, I like a machiatto occasionally!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Hobbs

It actually scares me to death and was the big changes I referred to in original post.

This stuff will change rural areas forever....

I have had a pile of second home owners around here tell me they would move here if we had internet 🤦🏻‍♂️