SpaceX Starlink Internet Service

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I signed up for beta testing for a fee as well. Currently I'm on a commerical mobile hotspot which is fine when it works. sub 30ms pings and 20-50mbs down no data limits or throttling. When it breaks it breaks and takes them 7-21 days to get it back up and for $200 a month its high.

Broomd

WKR
Been on Hughesnet for 14 years....loathe it, but with no cell service here they got us by the arse.

I'll be seeking more intel on this asap.
My wife and I were in the hottub a few months ago when we saw 66 satelites proceed one after another in the night sky, suspected that was Musk's doing. I was angry about the space junk up there, but the practical side could be incredible.

EDIT>> Looks like our North Idaho area is prime for service, I ordered and await the equipment.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
I am waiting to hear from someone who has mounted this to a trailer...I am thinking mobile base camp for working out west! I may try that later this summer once I get moved.
From what I read it won’t work far away from your home. It works off geofencing. You go out of that area and it won’t work.

SDHNTR

WKR
Can’t wait to chitcan HughesNet! Lousy physical service and even worse customer service! I hope Starlink is an improvement.

Have been thinking about it recently.. got rid of dish and signed up for YouTube tv, so I care a little more about my internet service lately, and this morning it wouldn’t work so well with my $85/mo 3mbps internet service I currently have :confused:.

SouthPaw

WKR
Hughes net is another option. But it’s a nightmare. Expensive, data limits, service interruptions.

Verizon works ok, gets me by most of the time. But the data throttle is real, and can really be tough sending large files, downloads.

Fiber is supposed to be coming, but I’m guessing it will be years til we see it. If at all
Since you get verizon, have you checked if your area is eligible for Verizons new LTE home? You can set it up with a MIMO antenna and probably get great speeds and it's only $40 a month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They already do this with this his nomad internet hotspots and others currently available and the local coffee shops they can get their fancy frothed milk drinks. No offence meant to the frothy milk drinks, I like a machiatto occasionally!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Man... The actual macchiato.. the one that is espresso with cream froth on top... Damn. They're good

22lr

WKR
Super interested in how yall see service during rain/storms. It would currently be $79 a month cheaper than im paying now, even if speeds are currently advertised slower, it should only get faster. But reliability during weather would be a big factor for me. Being military and moving every few years it would be super nice to keep the same service from place to place.

ODB

WKR
It actually scares me to death and was the big changes I referred to in original post.

This stuff will change rural areas forever....

I have had a pile of second home owners around here tell me they would move here if we had internet 🤦🏻‍♂️

It will change the world forever. Consider along with all the 'good' stuff the internet brings, the bad stuff will follow right along, unfettered.

I personally believe internet and the information/power it holds, and especially the way humans are manipulated by social media algorithms happened too fast for our slow-evolving bodies and minds. We, in essence, were dragged out of the cave and plugged-in within a couple generations.

I signed up earlier this week eventhough it's not anticipated to be available until mid to late 2021.
We also have no internet options other than Hotspot which are still very poor.
Pretty crazy since we live 4 miles from the headquarters of the largest chemical company in North America.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone out in the sticks running StarLink Internet Service??

I signed up for Beta Testing last year, just got an email saying it’s available now in my area.

I’m buying in.....anything is better than what I have, right now the only thing we have is a dial up internet connection that is down constantly.

If the speeds they are saying end up true, (reviews are really good) this is going to change a lot of things in rural places.
You ain't in the sticks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Hobbs
You ain't in the sticks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hahaha not to your southern boy standards. 🤣🤣🤣 I have had the same internet since 2005. That was before iPhones existed punk 🤣🤣🤣 and every year it gets worse.

OP
Travis Hobbs
I just want SpaceX to ipo at something stupid like $30 so I can yolo my entire life savings on it

Yeah, me too. Every vehicle, airplane, boat and cell phone, basically you name it will have their technology in it. No more internet outages and dead spots

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I do not have enough bad things to say about Hughes net. I would physically fight it if it were a person.

I'm with you. I fought them for 3 years. At the end I told them their 2000ms latency was a violation of their SLA and they booted me. But instead of straight disconnecting me they just made it where the router wouldnt hold a stated connection. Unstated connections such as pings went through fine. I fought them for another month after that then they just straight disconnected me. They really really hated it where I showed them the high latency was in their servers, not in the satalites. Worst CS and worst actual service ever. Then I had to send them the equipment back that I had paid for without a refund otherwise they were going to charge me for it AGAIN. They were pissed ever since my contract ran out and I wouldnt sign up for another 2 years of hell with them.

ihunt2eat

FNG
I am waiting to hear from someone who has mounted this to a trailer...I am thinking mobile base camp for working out west! I may try that later this summer once I get moved.
Hate to be the one to burst the bubble but I read from beta testers that part of the Starlink contract is keeping the receiver in a fixed location. It won't work outside of its assigned area that the Starlink sats are looking for.

The fixed location might be able to be mobile anywhere within a ~xx mile radius of that assigned area, though.

ODB

WKR
Hate to be the one to burst the bubble but I read from beta testers that part of the Starlink contract is keeping the receiver in a fixed location. It won't work outside of its assigned area that the Starlink sats are looking for.

The fixed location might be able to be mobile anywhere within a ~xx mile radius of that assigned area, though.

Are they using some sort of beam forming technology or something? Seems odd they would geofence. Given its satellite coverage.