SpaceX Starlink Internet Service

bluumoon

WKR
For the love of all that is holy, don’t tell any city dwellers this...our little Idaho towns are getting tight as ticks with people. Having a fleet of adventure vans with satellite internet and Instagram vanlife influencers in every little mountain town might be more than i can take...
Mine is on the way! They said you can't move it from the original location r/t sat coverage for now, hoping it will work at the property we are buying a couple miles away

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
I'm with you. I fought them for 3 years. At the end I told them their 2000ms latency was a violation of their SLA and they booted me. But instead of straight disconnecting me they just made it where the router wouldnt hold a stated connection. Unstated connections such as pings went through fine. I fought them for another month after that then they just straight disconnected me. They really really hated it where I showed them the high latency was in their servers, not in the satalites. Worst CS and worst actual service ever. Then I had to send them the equipment back that I had paid for without a refund otherwise they were going to charge me for it AGAIN. They were pissed ever since my contract ran out and I wouldnt sign up for another 2 years of hell with them.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing that techy perspective to my ongoing nightmare. We can all relate to their utter incompetence.
When we went to Gen 5--big mistake with the amount of humanity fighting over G5 bird spot beam--the guy came out and relocated a new dish. After losing signal after just two days, I went out and found the new pole/dish install flopping around in the wind. The concrete failed and the hole was all obbed out.
I grabbed a digger, a stout piece of pipe, some concrete and my i-pad and reinstalled everything to maximum ( LOLz! ) signal.

"I LOVE MY HUGHESNET!" Said no human ever....

Edit....just bumped into the neighbor at the mailbox. She mentioned out of the blue that she has Starlink and is loving it, ironic timing with this thread.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Very interesting, thanks for sharing that techy perspective to my ongoing nightmare. We can all relate to their utter incompetence.
When we went to Gen 5--big mistake with the amount of humanity fighting over G5 bird spot beam--the guy came out and relocated a new dish. After losing signal after just two days, I went out and found the new pole/dish install flopping around in the wind. The concrete failed and the holed was all obbed out.
I grabbed a digger, a stout piece of pipe, some concrete and my i-pad and reinstalled everything to maximum ( LOLz! ) signal.

"I LOVE MY HUGHESNET!" Said no human ever....

Edit....just bumped into the neighbor at the mailbox. She has mentioned out of the blue that she has Starlink and is loving it, ironic timing with this thread.

What really burned their ass is I have light enterprise level network here at the house. Cisco 3750g switch, ubiquiti usw-pro-24-POE switch, Couple ubiquiti longrange WAP, ubi security gateway pro, Esxi running a couple servers and virtual machines. Point of all this, its not a normal network with a linksys. The thing that started it is that they couldnt see how many devices and machines I had in my network since all I was using the modem for was a gateway with an external IP. I handled all the switching, routing and DNS internal. They werent sure how many machines I was running but knew from the amount of traffic that I was what they considered a "power user" and I was using as much bandwith on their servers as 5 people. Thats ultimately what tweaked them. It was a business decision to kick me off. They dont limit their customers based on what their hardware can do so when they locate a user that uses too much juice they just cut the cord in the crappiest way. I fought them for 4 weeks that the were restricting me in their servers. For 4 weeks they denied even though I showed them concrete proof that they were. At the end they just said we are terminating your service since I wouldn't scrap my network in favor or using their shitty modem/router.

bluumoon

WKR
3E66F016-A246-4A47-B661-6EEAF55BB88F.png
Starlink. Not the 150mbps I was hoping for, but noticeable. In SW CO, coverage is new here. Buddy actually saw a launch the day after they offered service.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my name on the list. Supposedly mid to late 2021 for me. Can’t wait since my current internet isn’t the best for teleworking. Definitely hoping for some increase in speed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I can see it coming in the future. A guy sitting on top of a peak, awesome views all around.... staring at his damn phone and missing all of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
Just checked for my area (lat of 61 degrees) and it said if I put some cash up now I will be notified when service is available in my area.... sometime in 2022!

Think I'll wait.

Broomd

WKR
After six months of waiting, received our Starlink this week. Opened the box., very tidy....it's completely plug-n-play, plopped in on the ground and plugged it in.
Five minutes later: 140 Mbps. Seriously.

The 'obstruction' portion of the Starlink app is fantastic, it led me to pop the unit high on the house for an unobstructed view--it's nice to have a 22' orchard ladder!
Snow and ice shouldn't be an issue as the dish is heated. This thing is motorized, it aims itself realtime.
Speed varies a bit up and down, probably averages 80Mbps, overall runs like a raped ape compared to the ridiculous alternatives. And Musk has promised even more speed and decreased latency which is already excellent.
Love it....looking forward to giving Hughesnet the middle finger after 14+ years of online misery.

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5977.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5993.JPG
    IMG_5993.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
OP
Travis Hobbs
Received our Starlink, opened the box.....it's completely plug-n-play, plopped in on the ground and plugged it in.

The 'obstruction' portion of the Starlink app is fantastic, it led me to pop the unit high on the house for an unobstructed view--it's nice to have a 22' orchard ladder!
Snow and ice shouldn't be an issue as the dish is heated. This thing is motorized, it aims itself realtime.
Speed varies a bit up and down, probably averages 80Mbps, overall runs like a raped ape compared to the ridiculous alternatives. And Musk has promised even more speed and decreased latency which is already excellent.
Love it....looking forward to giving Hughesnet the middle finger after 14+ years of online misery.

That’s awesome. Mine has been flawless, I just ordered another unit for work as it’s better than what we currently have at the office.

JakeSCH

WKR
After six months of waiting, received our Starlink this week. Opened the box., very tidy....it's completely plug-n-play, plopped in on the ground and plugged it in.

Man I can't wait!!!

Broomd

WKR
Guys, it's a rare thing to get 'better than expected' but this company appears to live up to the hype.
Musk may be eccentric, but the guy is a genius, imho. The global possibilities for third world countries--education, healthcare, etc, are endless.
More proof that capitalism and the entrepreneurial spirit works.

Alarka

FNG

I signed up about 3 months ago and got it for my house in Ga. that’s rural and only have a hotspot and two phones and the 80 gigs I have is barley enough for a month between work and streaming. I can’t wait for 140G’s!

kda082

WKR
Have had ours for several months and working great, easy to install on roof. We kept our other provider for several months just in case but has mostly been trouble free and fast so just cancelled that.

Broomd

WKR
Have had ours for several months and working great, easy to install on roof. We kept our other provider for several months just in case but has mostly been trouble free and fast so just cancelled that.
We're in that spot too with the other provider, held onto the Hughes just in case. We'll be making that phone call soon I expect.

I've had starlink since Dec 2020 and things have gotten SO much better since than. Back when I first received starlink I was seeing 10-15 minute drops a couple time through out the day, but now only see a couple second of "obstructions" or drops during the day. Not only that, speeds have gotten so much better too from seeing 50-80mbps down and 10-15mbps up to 150+mbps down and 15+ mbps up. Heck, even sometimes I do some casual gaming on it and it's good.

If anyone is on the fence, JUST DO IT! I have not regretted one second of having it.

Broomd

WKR
Thought I'd post an update here.
After 13+ years, today we officially told Hughesnet to pound sand. :D

The Starlink overall has been fantastic. Experienced one spotty download session about 10 days ago when we had a rare and welcomed downpour.
Based on many speed tests download speeds are probably averaging around 80-90Mbps overall, but that's anecdotal. I speed tested at 230 just now. I suspect things will only get faster as this beta progresses.
We added an ASUS AS5400 dual band modem/router and replaced the Starlink-supplied router. The ASUS is actually a gaming router--screaming fast and reaches the Samsung screens around the house flawlessly with it's excellent range. We've seen no downside to replacing the Starlink equipment--they supply an okay router, but it only has one aux. ethernet port and it's very basic.

We also added a Roku Ultra streamer--plumbed that upstream (Cat 6) into the ASUS and downstream (HDMI) right into the Yamaha AVR to be able to utilize our Dolby Atmos. Cancelled our 12 years of monthly Netflix-mailed DVD/Bluray discs. For the first time ever we're actually streaming movies--perfectly, no glitches. Never thought we'd see the day in our remote valley.

Bottom line, what a fantastic system!

Anxious to hear from others how things are going.

0JJp+nxzTKqUtcbPB1fA+Q_thumb_20a1.jpg