Spain Ibex hunting

Does anyone have any experience with Ibex in spain? I have a 4-6 month timespan this spring/summer for work in Las Palmas, thinking about taking advantage of the free plane ticket...

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
What does it compare to, expense wise? A dall sheep hunt? More? Less?

OP
C
Prices vary wildly based on species and what size class of animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what i'm seeing as well, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience there. I don't want to go cheap and get left holding the bag with some bogus outfitter. Don't want to drop 20k on a goat either lol.

I had a great hunt with Henry Skeffington for Ibex and it was not expensive in my opinion. Hunting Ibex in Spain was a blast and I am excited for a return trip someday. Real Big 5 is his outfits name.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
My father and mother are booked for 2021 with an outfitter a family friend of ours hunted with last year. We had dinner with him last year at DSC. He played tennis at UCF and his English is prefect. If touring is part of your plans, our friend's wife loved the trip, hence why my father is taking my mother. Happy to get you more details.

Devin96

FNG
I agree beautiful hunting, great trophies and reasonable if you don't want to shoot gold medal animals.

That being said it is much easier "mountain" hunting when compared to NA or Asia so not nearly as challenging but it was nice to have an easy mountain hunt for a change!

OP
C
Spain is a spectacular hunting destination - great hunting, warm and friendly folks, fantastic food and site seeing. It’s a blast. Been there a number of times for Ibex, Chamois, Mouflon - contact Daniel Herranz at Trophy Trails, great hunting, fair prices. [email protected]

View attachment 220022

Man that is killer, what did that guy score? Could you possibly PM with you cost for that hunt? What time of year did you go?

That being said it is much easier "mountain" hunting when compared to NA or Asia so not nearly as challenging but it was nice to have an easy mountain hunt for a change

Been on quite a few Spanish hunts and the terrain and game density varied quite a bit depending on the species and area hunted. Most were archery hunts which certainly ups the ante quite a bit. Some days weren’t all that tough but others were an epic butt-whipping. A few big differences are the Spanish gamekeepers live in those mountains you’ll be hunting and know the game. So they’ll usually spend less time trying to locate game and more time trying to find and hunt “the one.” Another is multiple species in the same region, so it is possible to hunt two different Ibex or an Ibex and Chamois on the same trip to Spain.

Here’s a great video of Pedro Ampuero (famous Spanish Bowhunter) hunting Cantabrian Chamois - it gives a sense of how “easy” some Spanish hunts can be.

Last edited:
Still looks easier that Tajik or Azerbaijan in my opinion
Spain is a completely different hunting and vacation experience than Central Asia - no idea what’s driving that comparison. Some easier hunts can be set up in Spain if that’s what the client is looking for, but if you’ll post your trophy photos with both a Pyrenean and Cantabrian Chamois taken with an arrow, I’ll tip my hat and hit the “Like” button.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great time hunting in Spain. Here's my experience:

PM me if you want the outfitter info. He was very reasonable, but a 13 year old gold medal class Ibex will cost you a whole lot more then a 9 year representative class. I'm more then happy with my representativo.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have an outfitter friend in Spain who has private properties he leases. He charges one flat rate regardless of size in this areas and his prices are very inexpensive for the country. I have hunted Spain twice and found most outfitters will allow you to save yourself the 21% VAT if you pay in cash for the majority of the hunt cost. PM me if you want his details.

TXCO

WKR
I love Spain. The culture and hunting is fantastic. The Vat tax and paying premiums for bigger animals sucks but its pretty dang upfront and clear. Just be clear on your budget and theyll fit you with a mature animal in that size/cost. Most outfitters buy licenses for their client needs and dont have exclusive areas. The units are meticulously managed for quality by local game scouts.

TXCO

WKR
Spain is a completely different hunting and vacation experience than Central Asia - no idea what’s driving that comparison. Some easier hunts can be set up in Spain if that’s what the client is looking for, but if you’ll post your trophy photos with both a Pyrenean and Cantabrian Chamois taken with an arrow, I’ll tip my hat and hit the “Like” button.

1daddd72e1096b75dd7fe8c2279bdb09.jpg

Im not trying to be rude but saying it can be done. Heres my archery Cantabrian Chamois. Ive hunted ibex in Asia as well and would never compare the two trips for a variety of reasons. Purely from a hunting perspective your odds with a bow are better in Spain due to game management. A lot of asia (as anyone could expect) is way more wild. The best i can describe which is not belittling anything would be like comparing a colorado bighorn to a NWT dall or BC stone. Both are hard and good hunts but one is way more wild and off the grid than the other.

Spain is a wonderful place to hunt especially with a spouse.

TX_Diver

WKR
I have an outfitter friend in Spain who has private properties he leases. He charges one flat rate regardless of size in this areas and his prices are very inexpensive for the country. I have hunted Spain twice and found most outfitters will allow you to save yourself the 21% VAT if you pay in cash for the majority of the hunt cost. PM me if you want his details.

I'd be interested in that for a few years down the road if you want to PM the info! Have family in England so might be fun to tack onto the back of a trip as I try to visit every few years.