Spare Bedroom improvement

Jmort1754

WKR
We have one spare bedroom that is around 15 x 15, I am looking to do some improvements to it. We do have family come into town to stay 10-12 times a year and my significant other would like to put a bed in there, while I want to make it my reloading room.

The compromise we came to was a murphy bed and smaller reloading bench.

Has anyone ever done anything with murphy beds? Any recommendations?

Northpark

WKR
I’d have to ask my wife which one we bought for the kids play room. When not I. Use it is a huge book shelve then the center ones roll out of the way to let the bed drop down. Might work for storing reloading supplies until guests arrive

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I was looking at one that had cabinets on the side that closed that way I could store stuff in them and it would be "Hidden"

Sherman

WKR
We have one spare bedroom that is around 15 x 15, I am looking to do some improvements to it. We do have family come into town to stay 10-12 times a year and my significant other would like to put a bed in there, while I want to make it my reloading room.

You and your wife seem like reasonable humans and I see your marriage not turning into another divorce statistic. Keep up the good work.

ODB

WKR
We’ve done two things: a day/trundle bed and a fold out couch both work, the couch is more useable but the day/trundle bed is more comfortable. You can easily make. 15x15 room do both things you want it to. We no longer have a “guest” room, our bonus room is my office for work, part library, part workout room, TV room, and when people visit, their room. It works just fine.

depending on your skill maybe you could extend the closet to be a mini reloading room. don't know your layout but 15x15 is decent size so if you made the room 15x12 utilizing closet you would still have plenty of guest room and add 3 ft to closet depth making it a separate lockable room. again, all depends on layout or room.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Its got a small closet, but the closet is under the stairs to the attic so not much room to extend. My thought was put a murphy bed with shelves and sliding doors on it, and then when time comes to lower the bed the doors would cover the shelves thus hiding the powder. and accessories, the bench I think for now the best option would be the folding style from like FA or something but not sure how well that work.

I do have a garage however the garage is a major work in progress. Needs to be insulated and finished. Thats a winder project but not sure how much honey do I will have as she wants me to redo the kitchen as well. She deals with my hunting and fishing 8 months out of the year so I can do this.

Unckebob

WKR

Listen to your significant other. If she is unhappy, you will be unhappy.

Plus, I would not allow "others" access to my reloading bench.

Seth

WKR
We use a queen size Murphy bed in our office. Custom woodwork is very attractive when not in use, but the bed is very comfortable when family visits. Lots of options in this area and if you don’t find something you love, the hardware kits available to DIY will let you build what you want. I like your concept of sliding doors to “lock” your supplies up when the bed is in use.

Granted... I'm a professional carpenter.

But I've done a few Murphy Beds. The kits come with all the hardware and measurements, you provide the wood.

Really pretty simple.

Flip side, we'd been on the fence about buying a camper for a while. One of the things that pushed us to buy one is that it's now our "guest quarters", we made what was the spare bedroom my wife's office. (I already have an office and a shop.)

You have over night guests monthly? Wholly smokes people must not like us.
Honestly that seems crazy high.

Id probably make it a reloading room and just pay for there air bnb

I built a Murphy style bed in our spare room- it’s the kids toy room most of the time.

I’m too cheap to buy a legit Murphy bed so the one I made doesn’t have springs, hinges, etc- so it was pretty reasonable to do.

Overall it works well, get dual uses out of the room

Personally I wouldn’t want anybody to have access to any of my reloading equipment or supplies but that’s just me. I like the idea of a sleeper sofa myself and then maybe convert a desk with a rolling hutch to your reloading table. When not in use you can close it up and have it out of sight.