Spartan Precision Equipment Giveaway *ends on Thanksgiving

55243e65ed2a56bb300cd4e10c884b0f.jpg

When you have more Grizzly bears in bow range than elk, but pull through as a team on day 11, we were all became winners. Lots of memories made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They only thing about not using them on a rimfire is 22LR is notoriously dirty. So a rimfire can is usually able to be taken apart and cleaned out. Some are also made of materials like titanium that you can use harsh cleaners on with it hurting the metal. I use the same can on my AR-15 shooting .223 and 22LR with the conversion kit.

Which suppressor did you go with?
I have an AMTAC Sniper 5.56. It's sweet because it only 3.7 inches to the overall length. I can't disassemble it for cleaning though. If I shoot 22lr through it sparingly, do you think it would be safe?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A vast majority of that unit is covered in sand dunes and lots of oil-field roads. Not many places to get much more than a half mile from a road or pipeline right of way, probably none actually. It's usually a hunt that you cover as much country on roads, then take short walks to look over the larger un-roaded sections you can find. Glass from there and see what you can see. That's how I hunt it anyway. I knew several people with that tag. Other guys had an idea of where the buck they were looking for lived and were setup glassing for that one deer. They had days where they wouldn't see any deer, maybe 1 or two does. My buddy and I saw 20-30 deer per day by covering country. I should have filled my tag on my biggest mule deer the first afternoon, but totally target panicked on a giant at 30 yards.
Thanks for sharing your experiences hunting there. It's always a fascinating ti me to hear how someone else does it in a totally different area!

I have an AMTAC Sniper 5.56. It's sweet because it only 3.7 inches to the overall length. I can't disassemble it for cleaning though. If I shoot 22lr through it sparingly, do you think it would be safe?
Probably be fine. I shoot federal auto match mostly which burns pretty clean. One thing I had someone recommend to me is that when I was all done shooting 22lr thru my conversion is to swap my .223 bolt back in and fire a couple rounds. It did a good job of blowing all the loose crud out.

I'm not familiar with that supppressor, but some can be tossed in a sonic cleaner.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
55243e65ed2a56bb300cd4e10c884b0f.jpg

When you have more Grizzly bears in bow range than elk, but pull through as a team on day 11, we were all became winners. Lots of memories made.

Nice bull! Are you finding that predators like Grizzlies are changing elk behavior?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Probably be fine. I shoot federal auto match mostly which burns pretty clean. One thing I had someone recommend to me is that when I was all done shooting 22lr thru my conversion is to swap my .223 bolt back in and fire a couple rounds. It did a good job of blowing all the loose crud out.

I'm not familiar with that supppressor, but some can be tossed in a sonic cleaner.
I think you're right about alternating between rimfire and centerfire to knock out the crud before it builds up

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've got 2 more days before the drawing for a Spartan Precision Equipment bipod. Remember that you can share a link to this contest on social media and ask your friends to give your picture more likes. Just like hunting, you got to take advantage of every advantage you can 👍👍

I think you're right about alternating between rimfire and centerfire to knock out the crud before it builds up
Might also be a good excuse to add to the stamp collection. They make sub $500 22LR that weigh less than 10oz and are crazy effective. I've got a liberty centurion in the works that will work sweet for my 9mm pistol and 22lr, is user serviceable, and is all titanium and stainless.

CorbLand

WKR
dae8e582025372fe974c49551f1841a0.jpg

Pretty rough year of hunting for me and my wife this year. Work and school kept us busy and hot weather didn’t help finding elk. I did see a lot of the picture above though. My wife doesn’t miss a chance to take a nap.

laclement

FNG
I've never hunted a burn before. What's been your experience in them?
This was my first elk hunt so... but it made travel off trail much easier for me than the blow down jungles surrounding it. I did get picked off by a bull in the brush as I was crossing a burn. Nothing to deter me from trying a place with a mix of burn and wooded area again though. And I liked the breakup in vegetation, there was quite a bit of sign and trails through the burns. I also spotted some elk I would have never seen if they weren't traveling through, unfortunately they weren't legal bulls but still fun to watch.

Nice bull! Are you finding that predators like Grizzlies are changing elk behavior?

There have been Grizzly bears here longer than I’ve been hunting , so I can’t say. I will say, that we’ve had great luck with aggressive elk in this area, fir 8 years or do, regardless of predators.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
That's a really nice bull! Great looking county too. Wyoming? Did you learn anything on the hunt?
Yep Wyoming. I learned a good amount that will hopefully help me on future elk hunts. I tried to learn a lot in the last year since I had a limited entry tag I waited 17 years for and came up empty. It was a good motivation to learn as much as I could in a short time to prepare for my wyoming tag. That learning with a large dose of luck turned up this much better than hoped for bull.

mooster

WKR
We've got 2 more days before the drawing for a Spartan Precision Equipment bipod. Remember that you can share a link to this contest on social media and ask your friends to give your picture more likes. Just like hunting, you got to take advantage of every advantage you can 👍👍
Think they have to have a profile setup here in order to like an image.