Spartan Race

Ray P

FNG
Good afternoon gentleman.....49 years old here, best shape of my life after a 2 year weight loss in which I have lost 90 pounds, sitting at even 200 right now. Havent really followed any program so to speak, just good eating, lots of lifting and short distance running (5k). My son called me today to tell me he has signed us up for a spartan race in Vegas in March! Any of yall ever done one? What did you take away from it? Lessons learned? Shoes? Any info is much appreciated!
Thanks
Ray

IrishnId

WKR
I did one in Boise,I'd a few years ago and loved it. I've since fallen into crap shape again. That said I'll be at the one in March as well. Good luck. This years change started today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
LBES is a Spartan. Reach out to him as he’s completed a couple and signed up for another.

ahlgringo

WKR
Pretty fun, I have done a handful of Spartans and numerous Tough Mudders including the 24hr Toughest a couple of times. I think whatever gets you our there training is worth it. I do find a lot of similarities to obstacle race training and mountain training. Some guys get really into it though, that would be my only caution- Don't Drink the Kool-Aid--

Or do, whatever gets you out there!!

Grumman

WKR
I did one it was fun. I wore Solomon Speedcross and they were great for the muddy course I did. I was under prepared for the belly crawl under the barb wire. Just hadn’t trained for that so that would be my advise. I was amazed by the cost and the number of attendees. That is a moneymaker for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
They're fun. I liked the obstacles, the mud, and the fact that it isn't just 13+ miles of running. Running is a lot more fun when you break it down into smaller segments. I found it a great off season goal to train for.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I have done two of them... both the Montana race in Bigfork. They are a blast! I started with the sprint 2 years ago and then last year challenged myself to the beast. I found myself looking forward to the obstacles to break up the running. I just used my old pair of gym shoes knowing they would get destroyed with mud/water and they worked fine. Practice that stupid spear throw! Its cost me 30 burpees twice now! Don't get intimidated by the race. You can take them at your own pace and make them what you want depending on how hard you want to push yourself.

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping this thread alive if anyone has plans for a specific race here let's post them up and meet some rocksliders in person if we happen to do the same race. Might lead to hunting partners in the future.

I plan on doing a super or beast somewhere this summer at least. I'll post which one when I decide in the next month or two. Depending on how the hunt tag gods treat me, I may do a trifecta this year. But I hope my fall is spent chasing horns and not races.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I work with a few people that do multiple Spartan races a year. What I have learned from them is that it is what you make of it. They are not difficult and can easily be walked. You can also run your guts out if you want to. They don’t do anything special to train for them and do it for fun it seams. I wouldn’t get to worried about it.

MThuntr

WKR
I've done 2 (both in Sprint in Bigfork, MT). Both times I did my own pace things and was way out of shape (like excess of 300lbs). You do a lot of burpees but it's not that bad. You'll get muddy, have a few scrapes, and meet a lot of people along the way. I've lost over 100lbs since and am signed up for the MT Spartan Beast (half marathon).

I would say working on grip strength is very important because that seems to be where I've faltered before. I can't climb a rope so I just do the burpees and move on. That stupid spear throw is annoying because they are poorly balanced and tied to a rope.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Spartans are fun. My hunting partner got into them so I go with him a bit. Convinced be to do three last year. Sprint super and beast. He would like to do the ultra but I’m not convinced it would be good for me. Many of the obstacles beat us at first. Then we watched the YouTube videos and figured out how to do them. We are both over 40, less than 6’ and 180#. We don’t do the competitive but don’t walk either. I like to out perform my last outing so it pushes me. Training for me is elliptical, core work and a pull up bar twice a week. I might jog or bike once s week as well. This is only in the spring and summer. I take 3-4 months off training every year. Have fun.

They’re a blast! I’ve done Spartan, Tough Mudder, Savage, Terrain Race, warrior dash, and not sure what else around the country. My favorite is probably the Savage but the most challenging was Spartan beast here in Texas. This year sucked for races...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk