Speaking of campers...

netman

WKR
So I recently bought a new 19’ Coachman camper. It’s a Freedom Express that weighs 4200 pounds.
I have plenty of truck a 2015 Duramax.
My question is Do I need to get sway bars or some type of towing system. I’ll be pulling this camper through the mountains on a regular basis. I’ll be heading west soon for spring bear.
I doubt that I would need a towing system but wanted to ask as I know some of you guys have the experience.
I had a slide in camper for many years but this is my first tow camper.
Thanks

cnelk

WKR
I have a 17’ toy hauler that I pull with my GMC Sierra 1500.
No problems in the mtns for me without a sway bar

I do have rear air shocks that I can adjust the lift too

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Thanks! My 2500 HD Duramax has the heavy duty towing package too. My camper doesn’t even budge my truck when hooked up.

Elk97

WKR
A sway control hitch (I have a Blue Ox) really pays for itself in gusty cross winds, braking hard while turning at speed, etc. The heavier truck you have compared to total trailer weight the less you probably need a sway control but it's still going to be a big help in certain situations. It takes the stress out of driving uneven roads and twisting mountain roads, makes the drive easier.

AKDoc

WKR
I’ve got an F-350 V-10 that most often has my Bigfoot Camper on it, and at the same time I’m also often pulling a 17’ two-axle trailer with either two snow machines or ATV’s on it. I have neither an airbag lifter nor anti-sway bars. I’ve run like that for many years all over Alaska roads and the YT just fine and safely with no suspension or control problems.

Mine is a one-ton, which I’m sure makes some difference, and the truck/trailer wt differential with the camper onboard is different than pulling a camping trailer with an empty truck as you describe. I mention it here simply as a comparative example for you...hopefully helpful.

BTW...the suggestion about the cheap-ass tires is right on, especailly on Alaska roads. I always have two spares on rims for the truck and the trailer...and that's with good tires mounted. I was once pulling the trailer, and didn't notice that there was a flat on the trailer until I heard the shredded tire banging as the rim flattened. Took a while to cool down before I could change the tire out!

T28w

WKR
Are you asking about a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar?

I had a lacrosse luxury lite, 36 feet from tongue to bumper and weighed 8500 to 10k, behind my f250. Weight distribution was nice and really needed to help level truck back out. Obviously a bumper pull. The weight distribution hitch had a sway bar but I could tell little diff with it and without it. They make some hitches that are supposed to really help sway control but they were expensive I never tried one. As long as I kept it below 65 mph, I had no issues. Over that and I could feel it at times and worse with big rigs on the interstate.

I would prob try it without anything special and make a decision after pulling it.

If I was only going 15-20 miles to a locale spot, sometimes I wouldn’t use the weight bars, which are diff depending on weight of trailer, but if I was going further I definitely hooked it all up.

T28w

WKR
I’ve got an F-350 V-10 that most often has my Bigfoot Camper on it, and at the same time I’m also often pulling a 17’ two-axle trailer with either two snow machines or ATV’s on it. I have neither an airbag lifter nor anti-sway bars. I’ve run like that for many years all over Alaska roads and the YT just fine and safely with no suspension or control problems.

Mine is a one-ton, which I’m sure makes some difference, and the truck/trailer wt differential with the camper onboard is different than pulling a camping trailer with an empty truck as you describe. I mention it here simply as a comparative example for you...hopefully helpful.

BTW...the suggestion about the cheap-ass tires is right on, especailly on Alaska roads. I always have two spares on rims for the truck and the trailer...and that's with good tires mounted. I was once pulling the trailer, and didn't notice that there was a flat on the trailer until I heard the shredded tire banging as the rim flattened. Took a while to cool down before I could change the tire out!

Is yours a srw or dually? Remember also that he has a Chevy. May need some help 🤣

I've towed several campers, from 16' to 37'. 3,500-13,000lbs with various weight distribution setups and without.

I currently have a '21 F350 longbed diesel and hitched up my buddy's new 16' bunkhouse to pull it to his house (just on the ball, no WDH or sway). Even though I have about 3 times as much truck as needed for that camper I still felt a little bucking without the wdh.

My takeaway is that, even if you don't need very much weight distribution to bring the front end back down, the ride will be a bit better with a wdh to act as suspension. I'd recommend at least a cheap friction style WDH just to mellow out the bucking - you don't need to crank the bars much at all, and with sudden big gusts of wind it will only help.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Thanks guys! Lots to absorb. The China bombs are our concerns too. Will look up the WDH

11boo

WKR
I have towed a 19.5’ all over just on the ball. Tow vehicles are a 3/4t duramax and Ford Expidition. Never any issues.

204guy

WKR
Trade the duramax in on a Tacoma. They're so amazing and the camper will be so intimidated it'll pull you.

Unless you just want piece of mind I wouldn't spend the $ on a wdh. Your truck won't even know that trailer is back there. Pull it as is, you can always add the hitch later if you feel it's needed. Used to have a 19' box 23' oal toyhauler. Probably 7500lb loaded, never had or felt I needed a wdh. 1 ton srw diesel, truck barely new it was there.

As others have said. Need - not really, but will be more stable with. Especially in wind, corners or when passing or being passed by other large (semi) vehicles. I have a 2500 Dmax and a 19ft TT. If I'm going on a long trip I put them on. If I'm camping 45min away, they stay off

I'm reviving an old thread here. I was searching for something else and this thread came up

I would say learn to use your trailer brake and learn weight distribution. Even with my duramax pulling a popup camper, on a bumpy road I will manually activate the trailer brakes to control trailer bounce.

TJfromTX

FNG
Just a FYI, I replaced the China bombs on my 24' Coachman Freedom Express with Goodyear Endurance tires and would highly recommend. A little pricey.... but worth the peace of mind... 100%

CCooper

WKR
After having a few, tow it and see what you think. I have had them whip at higher speeds, which generally is a tongue weight problem and the anti-sway systems seem to help out. My last one porpoised very badly (front to back bucking) which is where the weight distribution system paired with air bags really shined. I'm assuming with that length of trailer and your current truck you won't have any problems and may just need to get some weight up front when loading the trailer if you notice it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have both weight distributing hitch and sway control. I use to have issue with my 16ft trailer going into mild fish tailing which was not a good thing. I would never tow a trailer without both.