Spearfishing dive buddies - MT, WY, CA

I was freediving near the Revillagigedos off Baja (before they closed it) hoping to shoot a big tuna. It was a nice day, very calm and warm water, I was relaxed and heard (and felt) the sounds of nearby porpoise conversation in the water. The sound passed through my body like a vibration, it was so cool. I’d take some deep breaths, drop to about 60’ and hang there doing slow motion donuts hoping to see a yellowfin. Then I’d surface, catch my breath and repeat. I had been relaxing for a bit and about to head back down when it happened. I was suddenly commanded to "Turn around! Turn around NOW!!!" I spun around to see a large tiger shark 10 feet away from my fintips, his gastly mouth wide open. I watched (with my comically small speargun pointed at the huge predator) as he turned slightly and sunk into the blue haze out of sight. His huge black eyes looked right through my soul. I dunno if it was God or my Guardian Angel that silently yelled at me that day but I'm fairly certain it was the brown stain in the water that prevented me from becoming snack food. The 15 minutes it took to get the boat operator's attention to come get me out of the water aged me a decade. I kept watching beneath me...swimming in circles expecting to see that massive mouth rise up...but it never did.

tumblr_mratsf91SV1rgj5svo1_500.gif

I tried spearfishing a dozen or more times after that but my comfort in the water had died. I wasn't "one with the ocean anymore" and just on high alert which adversely impacted my breath-holding abilities. My dives were much shallower. I took up fishing.

Then one day we were fishing the Cortez Bank and got into a crazy stupid bluefin bite...they ate everything we threw at them...even strips of towels covered in bait scales and blood. If it slapped the water, it was hit instantly. The private boater has swim fins, face masks w/ snorkels and spearguns on board and said, "If you still wanna shoot a tuna, here's your chance." My buddy and I looked at each other and started stripping. As we're on the swim step rinsing the spit out of our facemasks before dropping in, the Captain standing behind us puts his hands on our shoulders and says, "Not today boys." We both look at him like WTF?! He points to the water directly astern...large hammerheads are going back and forth right under us. I took it as an omen. That was the last time I put a facemask on.

For decades I was a big mouth and when people would ask me if I wasn't afraid of sharks I'd say, "Better to be hit by an 18 foot shark than an 18 wheel truck, at least people will remember you." Yeah...all that bravado went right out my ass when I was 10' from a tiger. I am full of anxiety just writing about it. I think this is the first time I put it in writing. Those fifteen minutes in the water immediately after this close encounter were pure stress. I was sure I was gonna be eaten alive.

Last edited:
OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I was freediving near the Revillagigedos off Baja (before they closed it) hoping to shoot a big tuna. It was a nice day, very calm and warm water, I was relaxed and heard (and felt) the sounds of nearby porpoise conversation in the water. The sound passed through my body like a vibration, it was so cool. I’d take some deep breaths, drop to about 60’ and hang there doing slow motion donuts hoping to see a yellowfin. Then I’d surface, catch my breath and repeat. I had been relaxing for a bit and about to head back down when it happened. I was suddenly commanded to "Turn around! Turn around NOW!!!" I spun around to see a large tiger shark 10 feet away from my fintips, his gastly mouth wide open. I watched (with my comically small speargun pointed at the huge predator) as he turned slightly and sunk into the blue haze out of sight. His huge black eyes looked right through my soul. I dunno if it was God or my Guardian Angel that silently yelled at me that day but I'm fairly certain it was the brown stain in the water that prevented me from becoming snack food. The 15 minutes it took to get the boat operator's attention to come get me out of the water aged me a decade. I kept watching beneath me...swimming in circles expecting to see that massive mouth rise up...but it never did.

tumblr_mratsf91SV1rgj5svo1_500.gif

I tried spearfishing a dozen or more times after that but my comfort in the water had died. I wasn't "one with the ocean anymore" and just on high alert which adversely impacted my breath-holding abilities. My dives were much shallower. I took up fishing.

Then one day we were fishing the Cortez Bank and got into a crazy stupid bluefin bite...they ate everything we threw at them...even strips of towels covered in bait scales and blood. If it slapped the water, it was hit instantly. The private boater has swim fins, face masks w/ snorkels and spearguns on board and said, "If you still wanna shoot a tuna, here's your chance." My buddy and I looked at each other and started stripping. As we're on the swim step rinsing the spit out of our facemasks before dropping in, the Captain standing behind us puts his hands on our shoulders and says, "Not today boys." We both look at him like WTF?! He points to the water directly astern...large hammerheads are going back and forth right under us. I took it as an omen. That was the last time I put a facemask on.

For decades I was a big mouth and when people would ask me if I wasn't afraid of sharks I'd say, "Better to be hit by an 18 foot shark than an 18 wheel truck, at least people will remember you." Yeah...all that bravado went right out my ass when I was 10' from a tiger. I'm tense just writing about it. I think this is the first time I put it in writing. Those fifteen minutes in the water immediately after this close encounter were pure stress. I was sure I was gonna be eaten alive.
Yeah, that's the stuff of spearfishing nightmares - I'd hang up the mask and fins too. I try not to think about it, but it's always in the back of my mind - especially when breathing up on the surface while staring down at nothing but blue.

I'm glad you got out okay...

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
@kad11, somehow missed this thread originally. I'm down in Cody and would love to hit the water sometime, though timing is terrible right now with algae blooms.

Anyway, give me a holler if you want to hit the water sometime. I used to do a lot more diving down in UT, but it's been hard to find partners up this way. Haven't been out more than a couple times in the last 5 years since moving north.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
@kad11, somehow missed this thread originally. I'm down in Cody and would love to hit the water sometime, though timing is terrible right now with algae blooms.

Anyway, give me a holler if you want to hit the water sometime. I used to do a lot more diving down in UT, but it's been hard to find partners up this way. Haven't been out more than a couple times in the last 5 years since moving north.
Damn, it seems kinda early for blooms but I guess not too surprising with the ridiculously hot weather we've had. Is Buffalo Bill already bad?

Glad to hear from you and we'll definitely have to hit the water sometime!

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Never thought id hear guys talking about spearfishing Wy. and MT. I was really into it here for years but haven't gone much since, kinda feel guilty taking it for granted because we have some great spearfishing here, just hunt a lot now days.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Never thought id hear guys talking about spearfishing Wy. and MT. I was really into it here for years but haven't gone much since, kinda feel guilty taking it for granted because we have some great spearfishing here, just hunt a lot now days.
I hear ya. Haven't done hardly any since moving up here. Used to do quite a bit, particularly in the spring down in UT. Seems like sky's the limit here in WY. I think there could be some real gems with a little exploring. I've been really tempted to try a few places in MT for pike.

@kad11, I'm actually assuming on the algae blooms. Everything usually got bad down in UT by early-mid June. Maybe not so up here with the higher latitude. I honestly haven't spent enough time in the water up here to know for sure. I've never tried diving Buffalo bill, I'd always thought there was potential up there, but ever time I've driven by and looked, the water has been extremely murky. I'm assuming it's mostly the wind that stirs it up. I tried Boysen last spring hoping for some walleye and missed it by a couple days. couldn't hardly see the tip of your spear by the time we got in the water.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I typically reference this website before making the drive down this time of year

There were 20-30 water bodies that were bloomed out by mid August last year...

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I've missed this thread all of diving season. I'm in Nor Cal and dive often, usually solo. If anyone is in the area and needs a partner, send me a message.