Spearfishing dive buddies - MT, WY, CA

Okhotnik

WKR
That sounds epic. Were you hunting bluewater?
not this time as was diving alone. Just swum along and out from rock shoreline. I missed a really nice wahoo a bit out of range

Definitely going back and try blue water

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Bummer on the wahoo, although I'm sure it was awesome just being in the water with them.

Yep, wahoo and bf or yf tuna are on my bucket list too

Wrhyne

FNG
I’m in great falls, been thinking if anyone else had similar ideas. I just got from HI where I had my first spearing experience! Just stuck to the reef with a 9’ three prong. Ate fish every night! I’d love to meet up and learn more from veterans.

Very cool & hats off to you guys... Never tried fresh water or breath-hold but it must be nice to not have to deal with the tax man...
We have some great opportunities here off the NC coast on the wrecks & ledges

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Very cool & hats off to you guys... Never tried fresh water or breath-hold but it must be nice to not have to deal with the tax man...
We have some great opportunities here off the NC coast on the wrecks & ledges
I've got a spearing trip to the Channel Islands coming up in 3 weeks - trying to not think about the tax man 😆

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I’m in great falls, been thinking if anyone else had similar ideas. I just got from HI where I had my first spearing experience! Just stuck to the reef with a 9’ three prong. Ate fish every night! I’d love to meet up and learn more from veterans.
Sounds like a good time in Hawaii - which island? I'm in Billings and dive locally. Definitely feel free to reach out if you're ever in the area.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I just got back from CA and had an awesome time at the Channel Islands exploring Anacapa and a little of Santa Cruz. My 3-day live aboard trip got turned into a single day trip last minute due to new, more stringent Coast Guard enforcement of fire watch regulations so I had to scramble to fill in the days I had for diving. I ended up tagging along on a scuba boat (Spectre - highly recommended) my first two days and then hunted off the Peace with six other guys on Day 3.

The first day was all Anacapa MPA so no spearing. My diving was pretty rough on Day 1 since I hadn't been in the water since August 2020. Day 2 was on the west end of Anacapa so I spent the day playing fetch with a set of flashers looking for yellowtail - unfortunately the yellowtail didn't cooperate but it was an awesome day of diving. I was hitting 55-60' very comfortably, my bottom time improved dramatically from Day 1, and everything was just clicking. Day 3 was on the Peace with 6 other guys. We dove 2 spots at Santa Cruz and 1 at Anacapa looking for wsb. No one saw or heard any wsb and the only fish that got a ride back to Ventura was a 15# halibut. Despite the slow hunting I had an absolute blast and can't wait to get back ASAP. I got to dive with sea lions, bat rays, tons of reef fish, and a 6-7' sevengill.

I'll try to add some pictures soon.

I really liked the Peace. I was the only one spearing, and the other divers looked at me like a Neanderthal, but when I brought this in and we made Ceviche, the all begged me to shoot more. I didn’t, just because these guys are so easy to shoot, I didn’t want to be greedy.

also, visibility in Glendo was AMAZING this past week. Top to bottom in 15’!

Attachments

• 57059334-B5F2-411C-A928-0A5A9B69DDA2.jpeg
    57059334-B5F2-411C-A928-0A5A9B69DDA2.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 32
OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I really liked the Peace. I was the only one spearing, and the other divers looked at me like a Neanderthal, but when I brought this in and we made Ceviche, the all begged me to shoot more. I didn’t, just because these guys are so easy to shoot, I didn’t want to be greedy.

also, visibility in Glendo was AMAZING this past week. Top to bottom in 15’!
Nice sheepshead!

The Spectre scuba divers were really interested in what I was doing and didn't seem judgey at all. I was actually impressed with how friendly and chill everyone was.

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone recommend for guns? I’ve done super basic trips in belize spearing lions/ snapper/ grouper but finally picked up a used wetsuit. Needless to say the guns down there were less than stellar. Are the cressi guns on Amazon any good? Or should I be shelling out more dough on a nice gun? I don’t think pneumatics are allowed in CO. Just plan on hitting some freshwater around here locally for now till I get the hang of it. Been practicing CO2 tables and stuff as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
What does everyone recommend for guns? I’ve done super basic trips in belize spearing lions/ snapper/ grouper but finally picked up a used wetsuit. Needless to say the guns down there were less than stellar. Are the cressi guns on Amazon any good? Or should I be shelling out more dough on a nice gun? I don’t think pneumatics are allowed in CO. Just plan on hitting some freshwater around here locally for now till I get the hang of it. Been practicing CO2 tables and stuff as well.

Make sure you check regulations. Lots of lakes in Colorado do not allow swimming or diving.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR

I don't have any experience with this particular gun, but it would probably be a great freshwater gun to start with. It has an open muzzle and comes with a sharkfin shaft, which are both features I'd be looking for. It looks almost identical to the Speardiver pipe gun which is supposed to be good.

I have ordered from this sight before and stuff arrived in about 2 months.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Here are some crappy stills pulled off knock-off gopro footage. These images obviously don't do the place justice and the viz was generally much better than these pics indicate...

Anacapa 2021.JPG

Anacapa 2 2021.JPG

Kelp Mat 2021.JPG

Loading 2021.JPG

Sea Lion 2021.JPG

Kelp Line 2021.JPG

Kelp Line 2021 2.JPG

Bluewater 2021.JPG

Justin 2021.JPG

I spent decades pushing big Riffe guns around off the CA coast, local islands, Hawaii & Mexico...but that was all before the big sharks recovered. Had a bad experience and was never able to get the cello music outta my head when diving after that. Tried repeatedly but the joy had died and now I hunt the backcountry with a recurve.

halibut.JPG

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I spent decades pushing big Riffe guns around off the CA coast, local islands, Hawaii & Mexico...but that was all before the big sharks recovered. Had a bad experience and was never able to get the cello music outta my head when diving after that. Tried repeatedly but the joy had died and now I hunt the backcountry with a recurve.

View attachment 301366
Yeah, that would ruin it for me too. I hope I never run into one of those sea grizzlies...

Fatcamp

WKR
Lake Oahe has great visibility and is down about 10' from normal. We made a pretty lame attempt today. Haven't even been swimming much less trying to kill fish. Found a point loaded with fish and will try again in the morning.

Wife shot her biggest Buffalo today but it pulled off. I chased down and had a big smallmouth bass dead to rights but my cord was tangled. Rookie stuff. Tomorrow will be better.

amassi

WKR
Yeah, that would ruin it for me too. I hope I never run into one of those sea grizzlies...
I don't dive but I do fish, gws are scary enough but makos really give me the Willie's
We had one off san clemente island come up and attack my lower unit for no other reason than I was drifting in his neighborhood. Also hooked a relatively small model about #100 last year albacore fishing who tried to jump in the boat, undoubtedly for revenge. These psychos bite the running gear of pinnipeds to make easy meals of them at their leisure, watch your fins divers

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I don't dive but I do fish, gws are scary enough but makos really give me the Willie's
We had one off san clemente island come up and attack my lower unit for no other reason than I was drifting in his neighborhood. Also hooked a relatively small model about #100 last year albacore fishing who tried to jump in the boat, undoubtedly for revenge. These psychos bite the running gear of pinnipeds to make easy meals of them at their leisure, watch your fins divers

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I saw a video a few weeks ago of a sea lion swimming alongside a boat with his back half missing and intestine trailing in the water. I think the caption said it was a mako...