Spearfishing dive buddies - MT, WY, CA

kad11

WKR
Anyone interested in linking up for some breath-hold spearfishing this spring and summer in MT and WY? I'm in Billings and dive many of the reservoirs within a 3-4 hr drive.

I'm also planning to make a trip to SoCal this summer if the state ever opens back up... hoping to hunt the Channel Islands and Palos Verdes if anyone's interested.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Nice halibut! That's awesome

Vis varies widely based on depth and bottom characteristics, boat activity, and time of year. Under perfect conditions I've been in 20-40' vis, but 3-8' is much more common. I'm planning to check out a couple new spots this spring that I think will have better vis due to having hard bottom structure vs silt. I think the potential for good vis and relatively untapped hunting is pretty high...

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Hope to dive Desmet again this summer.
I dove there once last summer, but didn't see anything other than carp. Did you have any luck?

I'd definitely be down to meet up and do some spearfishing this spring/ summer if you're interested.

Fatcamp

WKR
We dove it on our honeymoon 6 years ago. It was cooooolllld! LOL.

We saw trout and lots of carp. We dove from the north dam. It was so clear. We will shoot carp, not picky, but the world record walleye came out of there recently so there must be some more.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
I dove the southern end out from the riprap. The upper column of water was very clear, but vis at the bottom 5-10' was bad due to the silty bottom.

I'd be up for chasing walleye there - even the little guys are tasty!

Fatcamp

WKR
We had good visibility, but with only 3mil suits we got cold fast. Fun while it lasted. We dove Angastora on that trip as well. Very cool place.

When we go back we will take a boat and 5mil suits.

We dove it on our honeymoon 6 years ago. It was cooooolllld! LOL.

We saw trout and lots of carp. We dove from the north dam. It was so clear. We will shoot carp, not picky, but the world record walleye came out of there recently so there must be some more.
This little guy? That's my buddy Matt that shot it. 1612201499850.png

Matt is a stud. We call him the Mer-Man. Totally chill guy that holds a bunch of world records.

Channel Cat, Mexican barred snapper, walleye, and bigmouth buffalo. He also has some huge fish that were pretty close like dogtooth tuna and wahoo.

you guys are killing it out there what's the best time of year to dive out there ? and what's the water temp , i might give it a try sometime ?

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all, I'm in Sheridan and would love to find some spearfishing buddies. It's been on my list since I learned it was legal here in WY.

Fatcamp

WKR
Breath hold spearfishing can be very dangerous. I think everyone should try it, but it really requires a mentor or at least a little training.

And a partner! Not smart to do alone.