Specific Cartridge on Elk Question

jodorouse

FNG
So I bought a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter back in December when they had a big discount and got it in 7mm Rem Mag. I wanted to upgrade a little from my 270. Last year was my first year hunting elk but didn’t get one. This year I am doing MT general elk.

I was able to grab 3 boxes of Hornady American Whitetail 7mm RM 139 gr, but that is literally all I have seen since December. I wanted to get something with a heavier bullet and controlled expansion like Hornady ELD X and figured that sooner or later it would be on the shelf.

Honestly, I don’t know that I will see a box before October and I was wondering what you guys would do given my choice. I still have some higher quality rounds for my 270 that I used last year.

Would you rather go with Federals 270 trophy bonded 130gr (old gun) or Hornady AWT 139gr Interlock (new gun)? See pic below for my selection. My range is less than 300yards on elk.

I am guessing loads of elk have been taken by both and maybe it’s a horse a piece but wanted to get your guys thoughts.

9763ffc04e21157106fc95d7929e1bde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be scared to use either, but, I prefer bullets at either the upper end of weight for caliber or we'll constructed bullets for elk so unless you can find some 160+ bullets for the 7mm I would use the .270. Just my $0.02.

fmyth

WKR
Hornady InterLocks and Remington Core Lokts have killed a pile of elk. They wouldn't be my first choice but if your rifle shoots them well go for it. If you look online (ammoseek.com and set up alerts) you can find more choices in 7mm Rem Mag. You'll want more than one box so you can practice before season.

Forest

WKR
Inside 300 I'd choose the interlocks over the eld-x anyways honestly. Out of what you have the 270 has the best "elk" bullet imo. If patient you'll be able to find some 160 accubond or partitions for the 7mag and really be set!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I would shoot the 7 mm.

The smallest factor in the success of your hunt is your bullet.

Get something that shoots rather well and the concentrate on other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I literally de-boned an elk quarter at 537 yards 2 years ago with a 139gr hornaday out of a 7mm mag. The damage it did was unbelievable. When we started tk quarter that elk, that shoulder literally was shattered and broken bone and kept going.

In fact, the 5x5 bull in my avatar was a 1 shot kill with that same rifle, same bullet as well. The 6x7 was a 270😂

Lytro

WKR
You'll be OKAY with either if you're shooting sub 300 yards and aiming for vitals, but there are definitely better options currently available as fmyth pointed out above. I think you have plenty of time to find ammo before the season if you're avidly looking for it. Here's an article on 7mm bullet options that may be useful to you when looking at available ammo.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Remington+Magnum.html

OP
J

jodorouse

FNG
Thanks for the replys. As you guys pointed out there are definitely better options but what I have are okay options. I forgot about ammoseek. I just set up alerts there. Guessing I will come across something sooner or later.

On to other stuff like where am I going to hunt...

Thanks for the replys. As you guys pointed out there are definitely better options but what I have are okay options. I forgot about ammoseek. I just set up alerts there. Guessing I will come across something sooner or later.

On to other stuff like where am I going to hunt...

I wouldn't over think it honestly man. Elk are not bullet proof and the internet has a way of exaggerating everything. It's great to be ethical and take the extra step for confidence by asking, but at 300 yards with a properly placed shot, that elk will be in the freezer with ease from either gun and bullet.

Remember, you don't need a nascar to drive to work, and you don't need a magic rifle from outer space to harvest animals👍

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also deciding on a bullet for elk with a 7mm Rem Mag. I went with the Barnes Vor-tx 139 grain LRX bullets. They shoot sub 3/4 MOA in my Savage and I shouldn’t have a problem with penetration. However I think which ever bullet you have the most confidence in is the right one.

With that said the website AmmoSeek.com searches the web for all available ammo for a given cartridge and also provides the price. If you check it once a day you’ll be surprised the variety ammunition available.

Marble

WKR
I’m also deciding on a bullet for elk with a 7mm Rem Mag. I went with the Barnes Vor-tx 139 grain LRX bullets. They shoot sub 3/4 MOA in my Savage and I shouldn’t have a problem with penetration. However I think which ever bullet you have the most confidence in is the right one.

With that said the website AmmoSeek.com searches the web for all available ammo for a given cartridge and also provides the price. If you check it once a day you’ll be surprised the variety ammunition available.
Those will work. If you search around on here you'll find a ton of opinion on what caliber, bullet and weight of bullet.

Since it's a 7mm, that's already decided...

Accuracy with a tough bullet is # 1.

Bullet weight for me #2

#3 is zonfirming and setting my zero.

But all are relative. I've shot the 7mm since 1994 and killed a pile of elk. I also handloaded since then and switched to a 300WM only because it was a twin of my other rifle and I was tired of rust. It's now my back up.

I zero both rifles at 300 yards (both are within an inch or so of each other out to 600 which gives me the ability to not dial under 500. If you have this option, do it. Memorize your drops at 400, 450 and 500, you'll be good. I think of my drops in body width out to 600 yards and thus far, it's always worked.

If I were to create a new load for 7mm today, I would do it with the 160 grain Nosler AB or the Swift Sciroco 150 grain. Probably the AB because it's easier to find.

The rule that trumps all is the effort and mind set before and during your hunt. Without it, you'll have regret and less chances of success.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Go with the better ballistics of the 7mm...

Keep looking online regularly & give them your email to "notify me when in stock".. You'll find some sooner than you think

Also put a WTB post in the classified here on RS .. you never know. If I had extra to sell I'd rather help out a fellow elk hunter than some hoarder

I am really big on the 160 grain Nosler Partition by Federal Premium in my 7mm Mag. That Nosler bullet just does a phenomenal job. I have harvested a lot of animals over the years with that round. My Ruger 7mm shoots 1/2 MOA with those 160 Nosler Partitions. All my elk I harvested with a rifle have been with either 160 grain (7mm Mag) or 165 grain ( 30-06) bullets. I personally prefer a little more bullet weight.

jimmy33

WKR
Ive shot elk with a 270 with the American Whitetail rounds...youll be better than fine with 7mm.

I’d take whichever rifle shoots/handles best. Unless you’re taking some real off-angle shots, you’ll be fine. I loaded up some 140gr Interlocks for a friend’s son in a 7mm-08 and he got an exit on a broadside elk at 175 yards.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing I’d add is know the limitations of your chosen bullet. Since I shoot Barnes I know shooting an elk behind the shoulder at 500 yards might result in a pencil sized hole both going in and out, and therefore should be avoided.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, a few years ago I shot a bull at 50 yards. I was using a highly regarded premium bullet in a .300 wildcat at 3400 FPS. All of the bullets only penetrated 6” before coming apart and it took 4 shots to bring down the elk. The bullets weren’t tough enough to handle those velocities. Great bullets but I used them in a situation they weren’t engineered for, lesson learned.

OP
J

jodorouse

FNG
For what it’s worth, I was able to get a box of 50 rounds of hornady edl x 162 gr from a custom shop. I’m thinking I should be set as long as it shoots well. I’ll probably use the hornady American whitetail for practice or pronghorn if I draw a tag.

Thanks for all your advice.