Specific Sitka Clothing

izeith

FNG
So I havent been hunting in probably 20 years or more (originally from Alaska now living in Colorado) I have never done any hunting here in Colorado. My wife springs on me one day she would like to start big game hunting. Now I have NO experience with Sitka gear other then it is some good quality stuff. I get some people might think the brand isnt worth the money and other might think it is. but that is not why im here. Budget isnt too much an issue so I dont mind dropping the cash for it. My question is about some specific pieces for my wife.

Specifically the Women's Fanatic Jacket. My wife gets cold very easily. She like the house thermostat on a nice warm 75 degrees all day and is one of those tripple blanket people in the bed. However from what I have discovered on Sitka's website it seems this specific jacket is more for bowhunting. Can it be used for Rifle hunting as well? I didnt see a Rifle equivalent that looked that warm. Does anyone have any experience utilizing this specific jacket either bowhunting or Rifle hunting?

My second Question is it seems the water resistance of it is not that great so I was going to pair it with a Women's Downpour Jacket. anyone know if this Downpour jacket can be comfortably worn over the top of the Women's Fanatic Jacket?

Thank you so much for your input

We will be Elk Hunting in the Huerfano creek area in southern Colorado the first week of November. mountains, cold, day hiking, and possible snow/rain.

If Sitka lists it as designed for bowhunting, it usually means the outer fabric is made of softer "quieter" material. Made so it will be quiet for close encounters with game such as treestand or stalking situations. Most I have found to be silent, so it certainly will be suitable for rifle hunting. The water resistance of lots of garments is determined by the material used. If you want it to breathe, so that it allows perspiration molecules to vent, but keeps water out, you need a membrane such as Gore-Tex or similar. You have to maintain these garments by occasional cleaning and retreating with Nik-wax or similar product designed to restore the waterproof nature of the material.
If you don't want the hassle of maintenance (cleaning and re-activating ) the material, then you have to opt for a product that is rubber or plastic, but when you perspire while wearing them, you could end up just as wet as having not worn any waterproof garment.

Trial153

WKR
Yes she runs cold the fanatic jacket will work fine. It very warm and good layout for sitting with the front hand warm pocket

The fanatic is going to be super soft and large, so youd have to upsize the downpour for sure.
In a light rain, no rain jacket needed, imo.