Speed Goat Newb

Luked

WKR
Been thinking about trying to go out for a Antelope next year. hard for me to get 10+ days off for an elk hunt so thought I would try my hand at a Speed Goat with a rifle.
really have no clue where to go. ill have to go for a public land hunt. would like someplace decent to be able to base camp at.
little unsure on where to go state wise for good hunting.
I know it would be busy but would like to get some ideas to start looking around

Ranger313

FNG
Looking at doing the same but in August with my bow. I plan to put in for a non-res Wyoming tag. Not sure what my back up plan will be just yet.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Start calling the biologist. They will have you set up with a plan in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy a Wyoming preference point right now. You have until Oct 31st to get on that so at least you would have 1 point for next year. A 1 point unit will still have some fun pronghorn hunting. You'll have a blast.

pkp851

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Start calling the biologist. They will have you set up with a plan in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also check with the forestry service. The guys I have spoken to with the forestry service have been extremely nice and helpful. They also know a ton about the lands they manage and the animals that are on them.

Jimss

WKR
Generally speaking units with more public land take more pref pts to draw. Units that hand out lots of tags with little public land often have a lot more hunting pressure on the small parcels of public that are available. Hunting pressure is generally highest the first couple days of the season and on weekends. You may want to either have bucks lined up prior to opening day or hunt later in the season when things settle down.

gpkhill2

FNG
Me,my Dad and my Nephew hunted Eastern WY in 17. Had a great hunt on a tag that we drew with 0 points. Hunted walk in and state land. Probably saw 100 goats and were tagged out the first day.

Like gpkhill, Ive gone to an eastern wyoming 0 point unit each of the last 2 years and seen tons of antelope and had opportunities to take a good buck both years on public land. I spent a lot of time looking at maps with land ownership, and knew exactly where i would be going well before the trip.