Speed nocks and low draw weights/lengths...

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Are speed nock (or their equivalents) effective on low draw weight and draw length applications?
We're getting the bow set up for the misses and looking to extract as much energy as possible from a waaaay short draw length. (She's at 24 inches and not getting any taller)
The bow IBO is 311 fps and it seems like she'll land on mid 40's for a draw weight (44-46), so if the calculators are worth their salt, she may get near 200 fps with a 325-ish grain arrow set up.

Would the appropriate application of speed nocks add a few FPS, even at short DLs and low DWs?

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
What bow is it?

Diamond Infinite Edge.
Found one with all the "accessories" in Pepto Pink for $140, so we stripped and dipped in Vias (quiver hood and riser). Picked up a QAD hunter for $48, Trophy Ridge Hitman 5 for $38, black/orange SOS wrist sling and some orange limbsavers and she's got a pretty cool little set up for the cost.

OR Archer

WKR
On that particular bow and cam system I'm going to say No you won't gain enough if any speed by adding speed nocks. Best advice I would give to you for her setup is to pick a good quality 2 blade cut on contact broadhead. Keep her shot distances on game to reasonable distances and good angles and it'll be more than enough to kill most anything that she might want to hunt.

desertcj

WKR
325gr arrow is OK for a 45lb bow, but I wouldn't be afraid to go up another 100gr. I've shot my 400gr 400 spine arrows out of my wife's 35lb bow. They shot better as well as hit harder than her normal 600 spine lightweights...lol. No she doesn't hunt with a 35lb bow.

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
We have some 500 spine Easton Aftermath shafts as well I intend to cut the straightest 24 inches or so out of. I intended to use 50 grain brass and 100 grain COCs with. Should come out to about 365 grains.
I bet the spine would take the full 75 grain insert though. :cool: That'd be just under 400 grains with a great FOC.

desertcj

WKR
I'd use the full 75gr brass insert and something like a 2 blade Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut. I wouldn't sweat it out to 40 yards. Might even stretch it to 50 under perfect conditions?

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
You've got me thinking the same thing. And this year she'll top out on close broadsides on deer at the farm. Likely from the ground, too.
Maybe for Christmas she'll have a higher quality bow under the tree but the combo described ought to do just fine for 2017.

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
The Infinite Edge doesn't already have speed nocks installed? My girlfriend shot an Razors edge before buying a Chill SDX and it had speed nocks. Her friend shoots an Infinite edge and it also has speed nocks.
For reference her Chill SDX set at 45lbs shoots a 390gr 500 spine fmj at 230fps. She killed a nice 6pt bull this year shooting the QAD Exodus that only went about 100 yards. At 30 yards all but 8 inches was hanging out the opposite side. I never did chrono that Razor but this Chill is significantly faster and shoots much better for her.

Edit: she also has 27in Dl
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
The Infinite Edge doesn't already have speed nocks installed?

Her's does not. It was a factory refurbish we scored out of the Bargain Cave @ Cabelas in Anchorage. There were two of the right hand bows sitting there with two different string colors. One was a pink/black the other was a grey/black. She thought the grey would go better with a new finish so that's the one we brought home.

All that to say, no idea if it came as originally spec'd.

To be perfectly honest, I'm more worried about her schmucking my chrono while goofing with speed nocks than the couple fps gained. :eek:

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Her's does not. It was a factory refurbish we scored out of the Bargain Cave @ Cabelas in Anchorage. There were two of the right hand bows sitting there with two different string colors. One was a pink/black the other was a grey/black. She thought the grey would go better with a new finish so that's the one we brought home.

All that to say, no idea if it came as originally spec'd.

To be perfectly honest, I'm more worried about her schmucking my chrono while goofing with speed nocks than the couple fps gained. :eek:
Well if you do decide to put some on let me know and I can give you measurements on where the ones on these 2 bows are located.
Can't say I blame you on being worried about shooting the chrono. I was worried when I was the one doing the shooting 😎

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say I blame you on being worried about shooting the chrono. I was worried when I was the one doing the shooting 😎

#samsies Thanks! I'll keep your offer in mind!