Speeding up the reloading process? Powder measuring?

SDHNTR

WKR
I use a cheap RCBS powder throw and then measure each charge on a balance scale. It takes forever. What’s a faster way to do this process without sacrificing measurement accuracy? I don’t mind spending some money to buy a better measurer if the above goal is met.

brn2hnt

WKR
I use the RCBS digital powder scale/dispenser.

Sometimes it will throw .1-.3 grains heavy (75+ grain charges) so I just pinch a few kernels back into the hopper till it’s good to go.

Other than that, have had no issues, speeds things up to where I only have to wait about 15-30 seconds between seating a bullet and having the next charge ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bockja

FNG
If you are looking at the best for accuracy and don't mind spending some coin, it doesn't get much better the autotrickler. Although, it will set you back close to 1k to buy the trickler and the scale you need to go with it.

rayporter

WKR
get a little better powder thrower and a digital scale. a harrels thrower like this will allow you to make adjustments much faster that the rcbs thrower. no difference in accuracy just speed. sometimes i will change powder and dont want to dump hopper on the chargemaster so i will use the harrels and set the pan on the chargemaster then take a pinch of power and trickle up to weight. you can get decently fast this way.

but the v-3 is above awesome.

8s3GZUC.jpg

Swampyak

FNG
I got a rcbs lite this year. At least I think that's the model. Great decision on my part

JDixon

FNG
Using RCBS Charge Master Lite. Meters ball powder well, will sometimes meter .01-.02 grains over when using extruded powders . Set up multiple units for faster dispensing times.

CPD

FNG
I use the RCBS digital powder scale/dispenser.

Sometimes it will throw .1-.3 grains heavy (75+ grain charges) so I just pinch a few kernels back into the hopper till it’s good to go.

Other than that, have had no issues, speeds things up to where I only have to wait about 15-30 seconds between seating a bullet and having the next charge ready.

Ditto.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Lyman gen 6 auto trickle/scale ($180 on sale) and use that in sync with a rcbs m500 scale to verify every other charge. Using them to load 17REM and have seen great time savings and load consistency. It handles all powders ball or stick well. P.S. a little Tubb dust keeps the fouling down on hot loads;)

I second the Harrells powder thrower. The nice thing with it is that it is extremely accurate and easy to adjust. It has a scale on the barrel so you can record the setting for powder/weight and get really close next time. I set it up with my powder funnel permanently mounted under it, but off center. I set it to throw .1 to .2 lite then I dump into my cup and place the cup on digital scale. I then hand trickle using Rcbs trickled into the cup. Once weight is correct I hold case under funnel and load powder into case via same funnel. I’ve been doing the for years and works very well. My Harrells will always come within .1-.2 grains depending on powder. The funnel has about a 3/16” opening with a one opening on the bottom which allows me to use the fuller for everything from .224 to .375 with no issues.

COOPDUCK

FNG
I don’t understand why people want to rush through reloading. I like the single minded focus it takes, and don’t mind spending hours doing it. To each their own.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t understand why people want to rush through reloading. I like the single minded focus it takes, and don’t mind spending hours doing it. To each their own.

If you really want to speed it up, just get a Dillon progressive ;) I might know a guy with one for sale.

BBob

WKR
Auto Trickler

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
2 spouses working from home, 2 little kids schooling from home, and all the other demands of life. The rare bits of spare time I have I’d like to actually spend shooting those bullets at critters, not loading them up! Send some of those spare hours you’ve apparently got lots of my way please!

2 spouses working from home, 2 little kids schooling from home, and all the other demands of life. The rare bits of spare time I have I’d like to actually spend shooting those bullets at critters, not loading them up! Send some of those spare hours you’ve apparently got lots of my way please!

Same here man, I have an hour of free time before I pick up the kids everyday from school and try and cram all my stuff into that time. It’s taught me to be very proficient time wise reloading. I got the T7 press and that has cut my time in half, I can throw a charge and seat 2 bullets or throw a charge and size 3 not having to set up dies in between is huge. I’ve definitely chamfered and deburred cases on the can at work to save what little time I have at home

wyosam

WKR
I picked up the FA Intellidropper recently, and from my testing so far, it does a great job. I’ve had 1 overthrow in about 60 drops so far. It’s fast- By the time I seat a bullet, the next has been ready to dump for a while. In fact it works out to hearing the beep right before I pull the lever. Thats about perfect, because if I make sure it’s done before I seat, I don’t have to worry about a little jiggle in the bench throwing it off. The timing will be off on larger cartridges (this was 223 for my bolt gun), so I might have a little longer pause. Its been a dead on match to my balance beam every time I’ve checked it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I bought an RCBS charge master. Can’t imagine needing more than that.