Speer Deep Curl?

Anyone have any experience using their 160 grain 7mm's? Looks like my new McGowan barrel in .284 Win likes them real well. Which is good, considering I bought 400 of them on clearance from Midway before they ran out. I had a feeling they would shoot well, and they do.

BC is listed at .455 but that seems a bit optimistic to me for a bullet with a concave base - but they are 160's so maybe.

My .284 Win with 56 grains of Ramshot Hunter pushes them 2840 fps. I was hoping to get 2800 but found a node at 56 grains and I'll take 2840 just fine. Should be very good elk medicine.

I have used Federal Fusion, which I have heard uses the same bullet. Not sure if its a 7mm thing, but they shot great out of a 7mm-08, 280, and a 7mm Rem Mag. Performance on game was just fine. I got into reloading, but its still my go-to if I need factory ammo.

wgood

FNG
I used 180’s in a 300 WSM and loved them. Multiple pass through a from 50-450 on elk at multiple angles. If they were still available I would still be using them. I know they used to have separate load data because the jacket and core was different than their cup and cores and were prone to higher pressures at lower powder charges, at least that’s what I had heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
My family have shot a ton of 30 caliber Speer's. Killed my first deer with that bullet. We have killed deer, bear and elk with them. I buy Speer's whenever I find them.

Zappaman

WKR
The design is a good one... the Fusion, Gold Dot, and Deep Curl are very similar from all the years I've been watching these bullets. I have used the Fusion (pulls for reloading and new ammo) in the 90g, 115g, and 120g in my 6.8 SPC. Also the 62g in my 5.56 AR and the 130g .277 in my 270 (both pulls also).

Lately the Gold Dot 115g 6.8 (.270) NEW bullets (now sold for reloading) were used for my "pig rig" (ar15 6.8 SPC) last month in Texas on a pig hunt. Three pigs between 50-100 yards... all pass throughs (behind shoulders). Two DRT and one ran 30 yards then piled up. Pigs were from 150-200 lbs each.

I have killed several Kansas white tails with the Fusion 130g "pulled" bullets from my 270 too... from about four years back when I bought a bag of 500 from RMR. IF the Deep Curls are the same bullet, I'd buy them for about anything I'd hunt. Beautiful five peddle expansion and they expand nicely at longer ranges too. Even the "pulls" shot sub-MOA for all loads I used them in. Seems like an easy bullet to reload in my experience; all my guns like them A LOT!

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
The design is a good one... the Fusion, Gold Dot, and Deep Curl are very similar from all the years I've been watching these bullets. I have used the Fusion (pulls for reloading and new ammo) in the 90g, 115g, and 120g in my 6.8 SPC. Also the 62g in my 5.56 AR and the 130g .277 in my 270 (both pulls also).

Lately the Gold Dot 115g 6.8 (.270) NEW bullets (now sold for reloading) were used for my "pig rig" (ar15 6.8 SPC) last month in Texas on a pig hunt. Three pigs between 50-100 yards... all pass throughs (behind shoulders). Two DRT and one ran 30 yards then piled up. Pigs were from 150-200 lbs each.

I have killed several Kansas white tails with the Fusion 130g "pulled" bullets from my 270 too... from about four years back when I bought a bag of 500 from RMR. IF the Deep Curls are the same bullet, I'd buy them for about anything I'd hunt. Beautiful five peddle expansion and they expand nicely at longer ranges too. Even the "pulls" shot sub-MOA for all loads I used them in. Seems like an easy bullet to reload in my experience; all my guns like them A LOT!
I used some of the 6.5 Gold Dot 120's out of my Grendel, and they shot very well. The Gold Dots have a slight boattail, like the Fusion bullets. These Deep Curl's have a concave base. Otherwise they look just like the Gold Dots.