Spend 1500

Jmort1754

WKR
If you had 1500 to spend for a Camers to take stills and some video what would spend it on ?

I’m a completely new to anything over cell phone photos. However I have some more free time and would like to get into photography more. It needs to be able to operate in cold snowy weather though.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a specific camera to recommend since I bought mine several years ago and am not familiar with the newer cameras out there. I would recommend spending more on the lens than the body, however, if you are thinking DSLR route. You should be more specific on what you will use the camera for.

also, look into refurb lenses. I have canon and bought a refurb L series lens through them at a great price. Much better than buying new.

The BEST option would be the Olympus E-M5 Mark3 with the 14-150mm lens (28mm-300mm in full frame terms)
It is weatherproof, body and lens, fastest focusing system on the market, best built in image stabilization on the market, 4k video, smallest and lightest system
Normally $1799.99, there is a $400.00 instant rebate to $1399.99 and as a Rokslide courtesy we will take off another $100, so you pay $1299.99
There is NO other camera at this price point with this zoom range and all the features with a weatherproof lens as well.

Call me with any questions. I am here today until 4:00, Friday from 7-6

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

I agree with Joel. I love my E-M5 mark ii for a packable affordable camera. The hi-res mode is awesome for landscapes, and the crop factor for telephoto is nice. The only place I wish I had more was for night photography. The micro 4/3 sensors can't really keep up in this area, but everywhere else is great.

That's been improved on the Mrk3. It's the processor, not the sensor size. It's now a 20.4 MP and a newer processor, great in low light

I don’t have a specific camera to recommend since I bought mine several years ago and am not familiar with the newer cameras out there. I would recommend spending more on the lens than the body, however, if you are thinking DSLR route. You should be more specific on what you will use the camera for.

also, look into refurb lenses. I have canon and bought a refurb L series lens through them at a great price. Much better than buying new.
I second this... Don't cheap out on the glass! Maybe explore the mirrorless options as well, less moving parts for the cold ;)

cohenfive

FNG
I'd beg to differ on Oly....I'd go for sony/canon/nikon first. Spend about half on the body, half on a good lens. One interesting option would be a nikon z6 with z mount 24-70 f/4 lens. Great for all around shooting, just not long enough for wildlife. Canon/sony have similar options.

For mostly wildlife photos, the Nikon P1000 (or whatever the newest one is).

For mix of photos and videos, the Sony RX10 IV.

Save the big, heavy lenses for the professionals.