Spend my dough

C.Cook

FNG
Convinced my wife that I needed some NL pure Binos. Here’s my story, relatively a new archery elk hunter in north Idaho, plan on hunting other states and terrain. Also would like to hunt mule deer and other species rifle and archery. I sold my 10.x42 razor hd to begin funds for new 12x42 nl pure as my one bino. Now I’m second guessing that idea, thinking is that they are a compromise as chest Binos and tripod, not the best at either, not sure I could hand hold them either. So I’m now thinking 2 pairs 8s or 10s (leaning towards 10s) and some 15s. I have a budget of around 3500 and really wanting top notch glass. How is this budget best used? I already have a tripod set up so I’m covered there.

With your budget you have a lot of options. My personal preference is 8's around the neck especially for archery. I also run a spotter, but 15's for picking apart terrain on a tripod would be sweet. Meostar HD 15's and some SLC's would be tough to beat...

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
With your budget you have a lot of options. My personal preference is 8's around the neck especially for archery. I also run a spotter, but 15's for picking apart terrain on a tripod would be sweet. Meostar HD 15's and some SLC's would be hard to beat

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
Strictly 15s on the tripod? I was leaning 10s for the tripod. I do like the idea of 8s on my chest. I don’t have much experience glassing so this is all new, the more I research the tougher it gets to making a decision. I have definitely decided 2 pairs versus the 12s for sure..... I think:)

10x 42 slc and 15x 56 slc. You could pick up a set of each of these in the newest hd version.
Substitute the meopta meostar hds for a lot less than your budget and give up very little in quality and performance than said swarovski offerings.

AGPank

WKR
If you are military or LEO, I hear Meopta has very good discount. They are working on some new offerings this year.

8x32 are great around the neck for archery. Then run 12 or 15’s on a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly 15s on the tripod? I was leaning 10s for the tripod. I do like the idea of 8s on my chest. I don’t have much experience glassing so this is all new, the more I research the tougher it gets to making a decision. I have definitely decided 2 pairs versus the 12s for sure..... I think:)
Definitely 15's on the tripod. 10's work well on a tripod and in the hand if you were only going with one. I like 8's because the higher the magnification the more noticeable the shake is. If its windy, or your hands are cold, or you are just not steady you will lose picture quality because the image is constantly moving.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
If you are military or LEO, I hear Meopta has very good discount. They are working on some new offerings this year.

8x32 are great around the neck for archery. Then run 12 or 15’s on a tripod.

What new offerings have you heard of?

For tripod, the EL SV 12x50 is tough to beat. I would buy those over a pair of 10s because the gap between 8 and 10 is insufficient. I glass next to 15x56 binos of hunting buddies all the time and there is no difference in our results. If anything, the EL’s do better during low light hours, are better into the sun, and handle better over all.

For around the neck, EL SV 8x32 of SLC HD 8x42.

I just ordered the NL 12x42 and am already second guessing because the EL SV’s are my favorite glass already.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How about an 8x42 SLC and a Meopta Meostar 15x56 for under $2,800.00 and money left over for ammo (assuming you can find some)

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
Hi Doug, Am I giving much up with the slc versus the El? I think I’ll be calling you soon, this is the combo I’m liking.

Jo83ben

FNG
I would go for SLC or used ELs in 8 or 10x for the neck and meopta 15x56 or used SLC 15x56. Top notch glass, within the budget, and would leave some leftover for a good tripod set up.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I would go used 8x/10x ELs for chest bino and 15x SLCs. I think there is a big difference between SLC and EL, I have both and spent a lot of time behind both.

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
Convinced my wife that I needed some NL pure Binos. Here’s my story, relatively a new archery elk hunter in north Idaho, plan on hunting other states and terrain. Also would like to hunt mule deer and other species rifle and archery. I sold my 10.x42 razor hd to begin funds for new 12x42 nl pure as my one bino. Now I’m second guessing that idea, thinking is that they are a compromise as chest Binos and tripod, not the best at either, not sure I could hand hold them either. So I’m now thinking 2 pairs 8s or 10s (leaning towards 10s) and some 15s. I have a budget of around 3500 and really wanting top notch glass. How is this budget best used? I already have a tripod set up so I’m covered there.
I would like to thank everyone for chiming in, amazing group of people willing to help others out , even on topics that have been thoroughly gone over repeatedly. When its your hard earned cash you want to be sure your making the most informed decision. As most of you were leaning in this direction, Doug from Cameraland chimed in and made a suggestion, no sales pitch, didn't even tell me who he was ,I just knew from trolling the optics forums for quite a while. That is one of the reasons I called and pulled the trigger today versus waiting. So I called and talked to Doug and ordered the 8x42 slc and the Meopta 15x56, I appreciate him taking the time with me and highly recommend Cameraland, im sure most of you are aware of the service and knowledge they offer the Rokslide community. To boot my wife is quite happy with me staying 600 under budget and getting two pairs of quality binos, happy wife happy life. Thanks again to all and happy glassing!

Do you guys know where I can find a good deal on some SLC 10x42 bino’s? I am looking for a new pair but most places have sold out in my area.