Spike camp / stalking slippers?

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. Just wondering if any of you backpack hunters ever take along a pair of light weight slippers / shoes for comfort just around camp. I would like to find something that possibly could also be used to put on over your socks once boots are removed for stalking up close on game. Something water resistant would be great. Thanks for your thougths

Mike 338

WKR
Yes on the slippers. I don't wear them around camp but they're very handy for getting up in the middle of the night and walking outside or just wearing in the tent. Putting on cold frozen boots is beyond aggravating if you just need to wear them a couple minutes.

I've removed my boots to stalk deer before. Had a hard time finding them later on. Not a good feeling.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like alot of guys on here use crocs. I was thinking about getting a pair this year but i cant grow my hair into a man-bun. Haha.
Thats funny. Thxs for the response. I am not a big fan of crocs.
Do you know if they are quiet enough for stalking?

WTFJohn

WKR
For a camp shoe, the Exped Slippers are very hard to beat. I've had them for a few years and they make it into the pack on almost every trip. I haven't used them as a stalking shoe, they would probably work just fine though for short distances.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thxs for the response. I will check them out.

I usually pack crocs but I looked at the ones ChrisAU sent and ordered a pair. Hopefully they will fit my size 14 with socks. $15 will be a cheap trial and if they work they will pack smaller than the crocs.

nowen22

FNG
I use Stalkasins. Handmade out of Utah. Great to wear around camp and durable as hell. Stepped on numerous cacti and shale rock during stalks and never had a problem with my feet getting hurt.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the geeat ideas. I will research these recommendations .

For years I've used to use my worn-down trailrunner Vibram Five-fingers and have now graduated to the Merrell Trail Glove 3 (minimalist version). Lightweight but not waterproof by any stretch; great tread which allows them to be worn at any time.

Brief anecdote: last year I had hiked all day until just before dusk into my backcountry area; couldn't wait to get my boots off and did so as soon as I reached a suitable camp. First thing...ripped off my boots and put on the five-fingers to get some air. Started setting up the hammock while playing/practicing with my cow calls under my breath when I was blasted by a bull about 75-yards away! Grabbed the bow and skulked up about 30 yards before I realized I left my release. Went back for the release, continued calling. Long story short, he got a brief sight of me moving to find a shooting lane and was very shy afterwards, but I pursued him up a good 900ft vertical slope until light expired that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise with any crocs or other slippers.

They may weigh a bit more than the other options proposed here but the tread is worth it. They serve great as a camp-shoe but can be used for stalks or even emergency stalks (as above).

Last edited:

Skreddy

FNG
I just got crocs for getting the mail, etc. I think I’m packing them this year. I’ve stalked in my socks before if I was worried about noise, like over crunchy needles or leaves.